Monday, July 11, 2022

Churn dash update for Chooky!



Happy Monday!

I sewed five churn dash blocks this morning.  Yahoo! 




This is my total so far.  I am progressing right along.  Thank you, Chooky, for a fun quilt along!


https://chookyblue.blogspot.com/2022/05/churn-dash-sal.html


It is never tooooo  late to make some churn dash blocks and join the fun, you know!




This is where I am getting my nine patches from.  There are a LARGE number of nine patches in this box.  The boxes are thrown out by the dozens each day, from the hospital, as saline flushes from IV's come in these boxes.  I have a dozen of them that I use to organize my projects, and use them over and over.  Recycling!  Reusing!  


I just loved to piece, and pieced a ton of nine patches! Some of these were from a swap, as well.  



 A lady from the quilt guild handed me a bag, with all of these small scrappy quilt tops in it!  I cannot get them quilted all at once, but going along, I will get them quilted and in the hands of people who can enjoy them.  Thank you, Miriam!





########################Nurse's notes##########################



I was the charge nurse yesterday, at my work.  But...our lone nursing assistant called in sick.  Honestly, I think it was because she knew she would be by herself and worked to death!  So what to do?  I called everyone I knew (PCT's) to come help...no one could.  So, I became the nursing assistant, as well as the charge nurse.   I had a blast!!!  Vitals signs every four hours on 18 patients, passed trays and picked them up three times, up and down to bathroom and up in the hallways helping patient to ambulate, changing linens, doing baths.  I LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  A closer connection to these precious patients, striving to get well and get home.    NO thinking involved...just work.  NO trying to titrate drips, adjust ventilators, balloon pumps, impella machines.  Just work.  


Work does a body (and brain) good!!



###############################################################

Old sayings...Mrs Goodneedle had a wonderful post about old time sayings.  One I remember from momma was, 


"Don't you go borrowing trouble!"  


So tell us all a saying that you remember from days gone by!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I loved reading the ones here:



https://strawberrypatchquiltworks.blogspot.com/2022/07/old-sayings.html



Julie

11 comments:

Loris said...

Your Churn Dash blocks are looking good! :-)
I can remember a few days of covering for nursing assistants. It really is like a breath of fresh air to be able to devote time to just the creature comforts. Patient care was what I missed most...while I was still working at the bedside!

Cathy said...

I’m loving those churn dash blocks and thinking they’d be rather fun with an I-Spy center and done in the color of the month for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge and Quilts for Kids. I have a few of those trays from back in the day when I used to make ribbon flowers for crazy quilting. I think I got them at a workshop taught by Helen Gibb.

My daughter is a nurse assistant in Seattle, working toward her RN. She has. B.A. in Philosophy (yeah, I know…) and used to work in Admin running Resident programs. She’d rather be working closer with patients, hence the career change. Just recently she’s exploring the P.A. programs as well….

Sherrill said...

WOW, lady!!! Can't believe you worked the entire floor by yourself. The hospital should not have allowed that to happen but, dang, you stepped up BIG TIME!! They better be grateful they have someone like you!! Good job, nurse Julie.

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Your Churn Dash quilt is looking fab! Love that nine patch centre.

Chookyblue...... said...

the churn dash blocks look great and your getting a good collection there.......
Just back to good old nursing.......all the nursing of patients bits done........you did good to care for all of them.........but seriously not fair so I am pleased your day went well...

ButterZ said...

Your churn dashes are adding up. I do like those container baskets too.

MissPat said...

Wow, working the floor all alone. Bravo. I was trying to figure out if you were being sarcastic when you said you enjoyed it, but it seems like working directly with patient care was satisfying. Just wouldn't want to do it all every day, right? Dedicated nurses don't get enough recognition or support. Thank you for all you do.
Pat

julieQ said...

HI Pat! I really did love it...no sarcasm here!!

Grams Jean said...

Many decades ago I was a nurses aide in a nursing home. Felt overworked due to my feelings for my patients and wanting to give them better treatment. If I were to go ask for those saline trays would they give them to me?

Janet O. said...

Wow--you are moving at a fast clip with those churn dash blocks! Looking really good, Julie.
You thrive on caring for people, so though it probably took a lot of energy, I can see how you would love to be THE caregiver on your shift. You are amazing, my friend!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

I would imagine that you are enjoying things being back to normal! Love your CD's. And those storage containers that you are recycling are great to hold projects in! Cudo's to you! Hugs

A finish

Hi everyone!  I have been kind of obsessed about finishing this jacket.  I used a lot of scraps!!!  Above you can see the large, angled patc...