Sunday, July 24, 2022

Slow stitching Wagon Wheels, and other scrappy goodies



I am so pleased to get the borders sewn onto this quilt!  Yahoo for an oldie but a goody.  


These are just bordered pinwheel blocks, with a circle appliqued on top.  I think of my forebearers, coming west in a covered wagon, thus the name "Wagon Wheels".  Hurrah for a finished quilt top!




A friend used her embroidery machine and made these towels...sorry the lighting was awful.  They are pure white towels. 



Love this one too!




A lady volunteer from the gift shop gave me a sprig of a plant in a pot.  She said it was an angel wing begonia.  I put it in the back of the house, by the sunniest window, and have been nursing it along.  See the leaves, that form angel's wings?  Thus, the name...I did not know this and am so happy to have it flourish!  I love the pink blossoms that are appearing! 



One tomato plant is thriving in the heat, not sure how, but it is putting on tiny little baby tomatoes.  I continue to water them, but in 108-degree heat here in Texas....they are suffering.  Poor babies!  I just thought of something...I will bring the ones in pots into the back room with the begonia.


I make sure any outside animals, like raccoons, possums, and cats that wander by all have water to drink.  TOO HOT!  




My zinnias continue to bloom, however, if I water them morning and night.  I love their simple, colorful blooms.  Practically foolproof flowers!  See my toasty lawn? this is with watering every day!



My favorite pink! 
A large white bloom...lovely!



Hope you all have a lovely day!

*********************Nurse's notes*****************


A lady came in with a heart attack, sick as a dog, coughing, wheezing, could not keep her saturation up until she was on high flow oxygen. Fever, severe headache., very high inflammatory makers.  Sure enough, a covid induced heart attack...inflammation is a key in this infectious disease.  She had two positive tests yet was adamant that she did not have covid and that we were making it all up.  


Sigh...OK.  Until then...she is in isolation. I tried very hard to teach her about why she was getting anti-viral meds, and all about what had happened...she was having none of it, and I was stupid, and the hospital was too, and the doctors knew nothing.  


Ok, dear...I will continue to care for you, anyway!!!!!!!!!  I hope she feels better and can grasp more later on.


**********************************************

 Julie

15 comments:

Carolyn said...

I also am in Texas, andI keep water out too in this heat, for the animals and for the pollinators. I personally would never have the patience to be a nurse, but I am thankful for the people who do!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Congrats on getting your wagon wheels top together!!! Love the flowers and tomatoes! In my circle of acquaintances , it's very common for people to not believe the first positive covid test and need a second test to believe it. Sounds like she was an extreme case. I hope she makes it. Thank you for caring for her.

MissPat said...

It must be frustrating to provide care for the Covid deniers. Bless you for your patience in dealing with your uncooperative patients. I'm surprised you have the energy to quilt when you get home, but I'm sure it is a comfort to you and provides an outlet for dealing with the stress. Stay safe in that awful heat.
Pat

CathieJ said...

Oh Julie, I am so sorry you have to deal with Covid deniers. You must have the patience of a saint. I am sure that you need your sewing to settle your brain. Wagon Wheels is looking great. I love those towels. Several of my zinnias have given up with the heat we have been having here on Long Island, NY and it is cooler than what you have been dealing with. My geraniums don't like it either. Never before have I had geraniums die. We are under water restrictions. I am just trying to keep the flowers alive. The heck with the lawn. Take care and try to stay cool.

Kim said...

Despite all the information and data and proof of Covid, there are many who just will not be enlighted. Bless you for caring for all those who come across your path as a nurse. Goodness, it sounds sweltering there in Texas. I am amazed you have flowers still with happy blooms. Zinnias are always such cheery plants and gift such happy colours. The Angel Wing Begonia is a beauty. It looks as if it is thriving with your care. The border is perfect for your Wagon Wheels quilt. Love the story behind the naming of it.

Anonymous said...

We just learned of another acquaintance who has died from Covid at 74. Anti vaccine, denied medical data on Covid, and he became so very ill. Our doctor told us he would prescribe anti viral medication immediately for us if we test positive as it reduces symptoms drastically in us who are older and vaccinated even if it is a mild case so glad we have the route that we can fair well.
Intelligence plays a role in overcoming a world wide pandemic. Thank goodness we have quilting and gardening even in this unbearable heat wave to keep us occupied. I am always inspired by your energy after a rough day working.

Lori said...

I know a man in his late 40's (?) who had that as well. He was healthy but also one of the ones that had that heart side effect issue. That was very scary for them. This was some time ago when hospitals were full of covid patients. Thankfully he recovered.

I don't understand people who deny the test results. I'm sorry she took her anger out on you.
I'm super thankful I got it with the "easy" variant!

Lori said...

PS, I ADORE your wagon wheel quilt! The border is perfect!

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Zinnias are my favorite Summer and Fall flowers. The begonia will be happy in the sunny room.

Jenny said...

It must be so upsetting when you are trying your best for a sick patient and she calls you and the doctors stupid! Love those nurse teatowels.

Sherrill said...

WOW, your tomato looks great! None of mine are looking good or doing much (only some cherry tomatoes). I continue to hold out hope that this dang heat wave will break and maybe we'll still get some produce. We're only allowed to water our lawns twice a week due to the water shortage (but I do water the veggies every day). I'm afraid I wouldn't have as much patience as you with a patient like that. She's lucky to have you.

Bridget said...

And she is a very expensive medical stupid on top of it. Augh. What could this country be spending that kind of money on? Good thing public policy looks out for stupid. Thank you for taking it on the chin so to speak.
Love the wagon wheels! woohoo Love the plants. I am in a region of the country which is turning off the ACs because it is cool and not too humid. So thankful.

Cathy said...

I don’t understand why people act like that. Does she seriously think you’re all just trying to trick her? Or what? I don’t think I’d be a good nurse, because I’d feel the need to tell her who the stupid one really is….. love that begonia!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I'm sad to read your nurse's notes and think about how maddeningly frustrating your job can be! Sending hugs~

The Wagon Wheel block is a new one to me, I love the look. So, I'm guessing you appliqued an OPEN circle (inside and outside) over a pinwheel block for the effect? It's very effective.

Grams Jean said...

102 here today, eastern Oregon. No a/c in our tin house, just got back from dinner in a/c restaurant and driving car with a/c. Will be in upper 70s tonight. Time to head west toward the coast! No quilt making at this time.

Comments!

A large tree fell over with a mighty crash, half a block from our home.  We are all grateful that it fell toward the street!  If you can zoo...