Monday, April 25, 2022

Shelly's quilt



Hello to everyone! Shelly's quilt is almost complete!  A very gracious and kind blogger supplied the batting and quilted a marvelous design on this quilt.  All this time and love is plainly sewn into the quilt!  Thank you so much, and you know who you are!!!  It is quilted with very pretty blue thread...love that touch. 
A close up...it is so pretty!  I am binding it now and will get it to her ASAP.  Shelly is undergoing chemotherapy for colon cancer with metastasis to the liver; she is my friend and co-worker...I see her each day, or did when she was well.
Just a border remains for my Ukraine quilt.  Hurrah!!!
I sewed some pink bowties, for April.  Fun, fun...they have five seams each, and hum right through the sewing machine.
The binding is on this quilt!  Just need buttons for the eyes of the bird and cat.
Annie sent me some string pieces from a spider web quilt.  I hand quilted it and will donate to our hospice, for a candle mat...electric candles for the sanctuary.  Thank you, Annie!!



I am all caught up with the Aunt Daisy quilt along.


Please click on the link to take you to her site...not too late to join in!


https://vanessavantreasequiltalongs.wordpress.com/2022/01/06/aunt-daisys-quilt-along/



***************************************************************************

Do you make bread?  How do you make your bread, please??





 I mix my bread by hand.  I use water, about a cup and 1/2, very warm.  Mix a package of yeast in it and two heaping tablespoons of sugar (for the yeast) and let it sit in a warm place for ten minutes, until bubbles form on the top.  Then put 1 tsp salt, 3 tablespoons butter, and enough bread flour to form a soft dough.  I used to knead it, but I found out I don't need to knead, LOL!  I let it rise in a warm place until just double (more rising is not always better, the yeast runs out of energy), and then punch down and put it in my baking pan.  I just got a long baking pan, and boy it is nice...before I was just using my corning ware or glass loaf pans.  Then let it rise again, until just double the volume.  Bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes...I covered the loaf lightly with foil the last bit of time, so it would not get so very brown.



Hope you all are doing great...what are you working on??


Julie

11 comments:

Terry said...

Everything looks great! I really love those hearts! :0)

loulee said...

Lovely quilts, as always.
We use a bread machine to mix our bread, but only use the dough cycle, then we turn it out and finish it in the oven, that way there is no pesky paddle hole and a nicely shaped loaf.
And I've been using some tiny scraps to make frankenmats. LOL

Kyle said...

What a beautiful gift for your friend and coworker.

Tired Teacher said...

Shelly’s quilt is beautiful, and she will love it.

cityquilter grace said...

all such pretty projects...i make oatmeal rolls...a bread recipe reshaped...calls for rising in the fridge which really works! they are uber delish...

Cathy said...

So many beautiful projects. They are all so beautiful. Hugs

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

My favorite is the Ukraine quilt - love the hearts and setting. Shelly's quilt is pretty! I am sure she will cherish it.
Have a great day! Hugs

Sandy said...

I love your scrappy candle mat! I may have to try your bread recipe. I’m so sorry about your friend. Her quilt is lovely.

QuiltGranma said...

For bread I use our Bosh mixer. I make 2 loaves at a time and whole wheat flour. No butter. Our oven is small. Won't hold more than 2 loaves. If I'm going to get the bowl dirty i might as well make it worth the effort. Then when cool I slice them, bag them and freeze one.

Janet O. said...

Shelly's quilt can't help but bring cheer, it is so colorful and happy! So good of you to do this for your friend who is going through so much!
Your Ukraine quilt is a beauty! Can't believe how quickly this came together, with everything else you are doing!
Very pretty bowties in your favorite color.
Cute and whimsical appliqué quilt. So sweet.
The candle mat is very nice. Again, amazing what you get done.
I probably made bread almost every week for decades until I was hit with celiac disease. I ground my own wheat, and mixed 4 loaves at a time in my Bosch mixer. Sometimes I would make 2 loaves of white bread and roll it up with cinnamon and sugar inside before baking. It made great french toast! I really miss good homemade bread!

Chookyblue...... said...

Shelleys quilt is a burst of colour and joy.......I sure hope it brings her some comfort......lots of bits on the go here.........I make bread sometimes but I am lazy and pop it into the bread maker.......certainly cheap and no additives.......and it taste so much better......only down side is i eat to much of it at times........

Puffins and purples!!

I was tempted by Puffins...a squirrelly breed!!  LOL!  This fabric was shared with me, and I have been loved these bright, candy corn colors...