Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Whoopsie!

 Whoops!  I forgot the picture of this week's Log Cabin Loonie's gift.  It is this jelly roll, by Sandy Gervais.  It is so pretty to me!  Unfortunately, I just admired it, and looked at it, and looked at it...
 and it is time for someone to use it!!!  So this is the gift for this week.
 I cut a few more flowers from the garden, for the kitchen table.  The sun was shining right on them, and I thought it to be a lovely image...so here you go!!




********************Watch out below...not for the faint of heart...a little sad!*************************





This little guy was in among the leaves on the porch, that I was sweeping.  He was already gone, but I just hated to sweep him up and discard him...he is so beautiful!  To everything there is a season, but I thought he deserved a little more than being dumped in a leaf bag...so here is to you, sweet butterfly...we love and admire you!

*************************************************************




And  now...I wrote a tutorial.  A little one...please bear with me!

I made one block.  I should have used a greater contrast in the print/plain fabrics for more clarity, but here we go! This makes an 8 inch finished block, so 8 1/2 inch unfinished block. I thought I could use my nursing uniforms...you know, those cute prints that we can no longer wear, since we can only wear blue at the hospital. 
Cut: 


Cut:
Background: 8 2 1/2 inch squares
2 2 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch rectangles
print: 4 2 1/2 inch squares
2 2 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch rectangles
plain fabric: 4 2 1/2 inch squares
2 2 1/2 inch x 4 1/2 inch rectangles.
I used the connector corner method of construction, so I have bonus leftover triangles! So just go by the pictures, and sew the block together. Hope this is helpful.
The last picture is what I like to do with leftover 1/2 square triangle. I made a ton of pinwheels, but now I am making chevrons of them.
Be careful with your placement of the pieces...they are opposites, as you see, in the center of the block.
Julie




6 comments:

Chantal said...

Wow! Very smart way to make this beautiful star block. Thanks for sharing. ;^)

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

That is a smart way to make the block, with fewer seams and not as many intersections at the center!

gayle said...

That's too bad about the uniforms. I really liked all those pretty prints - a bit of cheer just when we the patients need it!

Material Girl said...

So sad to find the butterflies dead like that. I found one too and it was in a small glass jar for a long time. I love to see the live ones on the zinnias!

GranChris said...

Last year I had a dead Humming bird.. Made me so sad. I know they must die just not in my yard please.

Loris said...

Great tutorial! Bummer you can't wear the fun prints anymore to work. They tried to have us wear the company laundered stuff for awhile. That was an uncomfortable stage! We quietly revolted and went back to our own clothes. They are back to some other control thing now. Glad I'm not there ;-)

Puffins and purples!!

I was tempted by Puffins...a squirrelly breed!!  LOL!  This fabric was shared with me, and I have been loved these bright, candy corn colors...