Monday, February 1, 2021

End of month update!


I am all ready to applique down these pieces, for the Mrs. Lincoln's Sampler quilt.  Cathy and I are making two blocks a month for this quilt.  It is well on the way to being finished!!!

So here are my blocks for this month.  These blocks are great fun to make!!!



Ok, this is for all of us Log Cabin Lunatics out there...  This is where I am on my log cabin lunacy blocks.  So add a 6 1/2 x 1 1/2 light strip to your blocks, as shown, then the red 1 1/2 inch squares to your 6 1/2 x 1 1/2 dark strips, then sew together as above.  So you can leave your blocks at this size, as they are 8 inches finished.  I added another round to my blocks, so they will be 10 inch, finished size. My aim here is to make a quilt big enough to cover someone, in a hospital bed or a cuddle quilt for chemo or wheelchair. I feel like this is a big win/win...a fun quilt, and some of my 1/2 inch strips used up!  And it is mindless, sewing fun.  Hurrah!!! 





Above is my mini of the month.  It can stand alone as a little quilt, but I am thinking I would like to make a block for each month, with piecing and applique.  Please see Wendy, here...our fearless mini quilt leader!!  It is so much fun to see everyone's mini quilt creations...lovely quilts, all!




Strings!! Strings are just so, so much fun to me!!!  Above is a table runner I made a long time ago.  I don't know when, because there is no date on the back!  You can see that one end had been exposed to the sun.  It was on my old sewing machine, which gets some sun in the afternoon, fading the border fabric.  It is hand quilted through every string, and it a favorite of mine. 





So my friend Annie and I are making string quilts!!  I though I would make a bed sized quilt, from the above table runner idea.  So I am off to the races!!! When we are finished, I hope to show both of our quilts to you! 





I have made a fair few strings quilts over the years...above is one.  It is well used and washed a lot.  In fact, Rosie the poodle has a little accident on this quilt last night, and I just washed it.  It has held up well.  The quilt was made in the "quilt as you go" method.  Rosie would be so embarrassed that I told on her...please do not mention it to her, LOL!




 Here is the back.  I just used what I had, so obviously I ran out of the funky floral fabric...(FFF)  Haha!!!




Hope each of you is having a wonderful day, and off I go on my day!




Julie

8 comments:

Julierose said...

Love your little snowman piece, your string quilts and runners are so pretty.
I am working on what will be my last round on these 30 blocks (8 1/2" ); the other 30 will be a regular courthouse steps without the little square corners.
It is snowing to "beat the band" here this morning --we are slated to get some 10" before this is all over...good day to sit and sew right?
I am enjoying our log cabin journey. [Oh--And speaking of string quilts--I am starting a spider web string one...]
I love yours and Cathy's blocks on Mrs. Lincoln piece--so pretty.
Hugs Julierose

Cathy said...

I love how you did your basket. You stayed true to the pattern. You have so many beautiful projects going. Hugs

Quilting Babcia said...

Sweet little mini! If you want to make your minis into one larger quilt at the end of the year you could always bind each one as you make them and then assemble them potholder style like Wendy does. This is a great little stand alone quilt though.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

My Mom made string quilts in the 40s and 50s on paper foundations. I have great memories of depapering (is that a word?) the blocks. Love your monthly mini!

Janet O. said...

That is a very cute basket block. Is the basket fabric wool? Looks like it from here. :)
Love all your scrap creations, and that string quilt is gorgeous! Look for ward to seeing what you and Annie create!

Susan said...

What a great January! I like that string table runner, and I'll have to make one like that sometime this year, too. I'm planning one per month.

Kyle said...

Your mini snowman quilt is super cute. I think a lot of folks will have snowmen in the yards with all the current snowstorms. You always have so much going on. Love the strings.

Jennie in GA said...

Once again I am amazed at your progress. All of this and working as well!!! My favorite is the mini, but I do love me some strings.

Comments!

A large tree fell over with a mighty crash, half a block from our home.  We are all grateful that it fell toward the street!  If you can zoo...