Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Borders on the Blues

Good morning!! Are you ready?  Christmas is just right around the corner!!  I think I am pretty ready, as ready as I am going to get...so there!  I finished putting these blocks together, and bordered them...yahoo!  Glad to have it in one piece.  I continue to work on the "Easy Street" mystery quilt from Quiltville, and my Barrister's blocks.  And have big plans for the new year...how about you???  What are you planning to do, quilt wise, and life wise??



I am so very sad about the horrible shooting in Connecticut.  Poor babies...when something like this happens, I have the urge to go there, to see if I can help.  Maybe when I retire, I can work for the Red Cross or something...


******************Nurse's notes**************************


Fire in the OR!  The operating room...we have dozens in our hospital, but the Cardiothoracic operating rooms are like something out of a futuristic movie.  Tons of equipment and monitors and fluoro...and flame sources.  Last week, an accident happened and a fire started in the OR.  The operating nurse worked like a top, actually stomping on and smothering the flames...hurrah for them!  Big excitement, as the fire trucks came, and firemen came through with axes and the whole shebang. 


Lots of cancer patients lately...pulling on my heart strings.  Slowing down on cardiovascular surgery, I guess because of the holidays.  But the nursing stuff never ends, and I find great joy, mostly, in my work. One particular patient cannot eat due to extensive surgery until after the first of the year...I feel for him!!  Poor fella...when he can eat?  You can bet he will have ANYTHING he wants!!!

*************************************************************


Have a great day, all!!!

Julie

19 comments:

Nancy said...

Your blue quilt is melting my heart : I adore it!

Missy Shay said...

I love your quilt! I am trying to finish up a Christmas quilt, make a bathrobe for my husband and then go out of town on Saturday. Have a merry Christmas!

Loris said...

The Blues is beautiful :-) Really gorgeous how those strings add such interest.
I finished sewing and mailing for Christmas. So last night I sewed up blocks for a little girl's quilt to send for someone whose home was in the path of Hurricane Sandy.
I'm working the rest of the week and off for Christmas. It should be interesting! Hope your holiday is full of peace and joy!

Anonymous said...

Blues looks wonderful.

Sharon said...

I have a long list of things to do when I hit retirement, I just hope I have the health and $$ to contribute like I want to. Love the Blues....

Lori said...

Wow! Julie! The quilt is fantastic!!

Kyle said...

Your blue border blues all those blue totally together. Great pick!

Sue said...

I work full time and still volunteer for Red Cross. Just show up and tell them what hours you have. They will find you a space... Blues is wonderful.

Quilter Kathy said...

Love the blue scrap quilt!
I am not at all ready and freaking out a bit...which will turn into freaking out a lot by the weekend!
Haven't given a thought to life next year, but hope to do so next week.

Janet O. said...

Beautiful blues--and I love the border fabric!

Leeanne said...

Love it....but then I have never been disappointed with your quilts!
You do so much good in your job now, you don't need to join the Red Cross, most people do their bit in some way, even if it is small....there is way more good than negative.

Karen said...

I always wonder what they would do with the patient on the operating table if an emergency occurred.

Mary said...

Love the blues! It's so gorgeous! I have big plans for next year! My resolution for 2013 is to have a quilt completed for everyone I love! You seen the Island chain I'm working on, I have another like it in a different colorway, then a twister quilt in batiks, and another twister in florals. There will be a string quilt in my future as well.

Can't wait to see your mystery quilt!

Jan said...

Wonderful blue quilt!!!You do so much good at your job now that they probably won't let you retire!!!

Lois Arnold said...

The blue quilt is wonderful! Have a very Merry Christmas and a blessed New Year, my friend!

Sarah said...

I love this blue quilt! And I enjoy reading your anecdotes from work too. Have a Merry Christmas!

Becky said...

Julie, love your blue quilt. I'm thinking that you have probably blogged about the pattern source, but don't remember. Could you refresh my faltering memory? I'm thinking it would make a great scrap quilt for 2013. Merry Christmas!

Merilyn said...

It's always quite something when the fire brigade have to come into the hospital, causes quite a stir for the patients but even more excitement in our Psych unit, because generally it's someone who has left their bathroom door open and had a long hot shower and the steam sets off the alarm in their room! Have had a couple of fires in our ED Dept too, (usually caused by one of ours unfortunately!) We're not the most popular dept in the hosp LOL!!!!
This year a large number of our pts will have Day Passes on Christmas so at least they'll be able to enjoy spending time with loved ones, for those who have to remain in hosp, the staff are great with trying it make it a special day for them! Have a happy and safe Christmas!!!!!

Elaine Adair said...

LOVE that BLUE - it's time I make something like it - thanks for great inspiration!

Fires - OMGosh!

I wish YOU a very Happy New Year!

Puffins and purples!!

I was tempted by Puffins...a squirrelly breed!!  LOL!  This fabric was shared with me, and I have been loved these bright, candy corn colors...