Monday, December 13, 2021

On we go toward Christmas!



Good morning!  Above is an old quilt, one that I love.  I guess I love them all, though...but this one is special.  It was a block of the month, from the now defunct "Nostalgia" quilt store.  I was a newer quilter...this was a challenge.  I just love it!!  I pulled it out to enjoy.  





This quilt is my monthly mini!  My friend Janet had a baggie mini quilt challenge, and this was just the ticket to use this baggie of pieces up.    The border is new, not in the baggie, LOL!  I hand quilted this one.  I thought this candle looked good on top of it.





I found some flowers that will go right along with this theme!  Thank you dear Janet,


 https://roguequilter.blogspot.com/2021/12/november-monthly-mini-and-celebrations.html


and also Wendy, at the Constant Quilter, 


https://theconstantquilter.blogspot.com/2021/11/november-monthly-mini.html






I found a cotton field, recently!  So much cotton was blowing around, and I found this little twig, with cotton bolls still attached.  The very beginning of our quilts!  Well, I guess the seed came first, but...





My dear friend Lyn, in Australia, makes dolls, and I have received some of her treasures.  This is a nursing dolly!
I cherish them and display them all year!  This is some of her work...a fun rabbit, an Amish lady, and my raggedy Anne nurse.  I love them!


KENTUCKY AND SOUTH TORNADOES!  


Anyone from there, please check in!  


 I am sending bedding to this quilt store...the famous Hancock's of Paducah.  Samaritan's purse is a good one to send money to help. Maybe you can help; I believe these are good places to start, to help someone who has lost EVERYTHING they own.

This is from Hancock's of Paducah, Kentucky.  




Thank you to everyone offering thoughts and prayers for our friends and neighbors. If you are able to do more, here are some suggestions.
The best way to help right now is to give financially: https://secure.kentucky.gov/formservices/Finance/WKYRelief
If you wish to donate warm bedding, bring donations to our store or mail to:
Hancock’s of Paducah
Attn: Tornado Relief
3841 Hinkleville Road
Paducah, KY 42001
Please label the outside of the box with the number of items included, and if they're baby/throw/bed sizes.
If you are an individual or organization impacted by the storms and NEED BEDDING, please send us a direct message or come to the store if you can.
Store hours are Tuesday-Friday 9am-5pm, and Saturday 9am-3pm. We will have a shopping cart on our porch or inside our front doors today to accept donations.









Hope you all are doing great and are safe today!


Julie




 

8 comments:

Binsa said...

Morning Julie my thoughts and prayers to all who have been affected by the tornados.Loved seeing one of your earliest quilts.

cityquilter grace said...

thank you for posting the donation website...cannot even imagine the burdens ahead for so many...

Quilting Babcia said...

Thank you for posting the link. I'll let our quilt ministry members know at tomorrow's meeting. Your mini is sweet and a reminder that summer is only a few months away. I'll cling to that thought!

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Such a difficult time of year to lose everything you own. I pray help is quick in arriving to those who need it. Thanks for the information and link.

Nann said...

The tornado damage is astounding. I can't conceive of a twister that goes for 200 miles. Thanks for the donation link.

I really like your sampler. The pieced sashing (HSTs and squares) really enhances the blocks.

Loris said...

Your mini is so cheerful :-) Lovely use of those scraps and new border!
I heard from Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict. She's ok...lives in different part of state. I didn't know anyone else there to ask. I can barely imagine how devastating this is. Heartbreaking! I agree with your donation ideas. Wish I could go there and help too.

Sheila said...

The pictures of the tornado damage are powerful and probably only give us a glimpse of the astounding damage. Thank you for the donation link. I was hoping someone would post this and spur us quilters into action. Prayers for the people in that area of our country. especially at this time of the year.

Janet O. said...

How did I ever miss this post, Julie? I was combing back through the mini makers to find those who had participated in the baggie challenge, and as I was reading through this it did not look familiar.
Thank you for participating in the baggie challenge. I love your happy, sunny mini. Looks like the perfect mat for that pretty candle.
I can't imagine driving down a road and seeing a cotton field. Corn or barley, definitely, but never cotton.
What adorable little dolls. The nurse doll is perfect for you. :)

A finish

Hi everyone!  I have been kind of obsessed about finishing this jacket.  I used a lot of scraps!!!  Above you can see the large, angled patc...