Friday, April 10, 2020

Corona Cottages, and masks

 After some puzzling about it, I just cut up an old scrub top from the hospital and put that as a border around my houses.  Blue sky!  That is what it stands for!
 I am making masks.  I have a roll of tiny elastic, and that is what I am using for mine.  I have given them all away.  I love to see the pharmacy girl, and the tax CPA wearing home made masks!
So I am making more!  Hugs to all! I have made dozens so far. 


I took my life in my hands and went to Costco and the pharmacy yesterday.  The Costco people were continuously wiping down check out stands and grocery carts, and it was so sterile and clean looking in there.  GREAT JOB, Costco!  They said if I wore my badge, as a nurse, I would not have to stand in line, but I rejected that...not fair to everyone in the line.    Everyone was doing their social distancing and very polite and kind.  There is no toilet paper, but we have a couple of rolls left and then will improvise!  No bleach, no hand gel,  no Clorox wipes, of course. 


***************************Nurse's Notes******************************


So far, we have PPE (personal protection equipment) at the hospital. One huge problem is getting test results back in a timely manner.  One test took two solid weeks!  The docs are testing people with cough, fever, and lung consolidation. There are many negatives, which is good, but still burns through our slim supply of personal protection equipment, because once you are tested, you are presumed positive and isolated, and nurses, docs,  and techs that visit the isolation room has to wear max protection.  It is weird, surreal, and I will be heartily glad when we get to some kind of normalcy.  My face hurts from the tight masks, and I have cracks/super dry areas on my hands, from continuous washing and re-gloving.   We have cancelled all elective cases, and so the cath lab/recovery girls are working in the Covid units.  Older nurses are just retiring on the spot.  The core nursing staff remains, and are supporting each other, making headbands for each other and food for all each shift.  Many churches and ministries are sending food and support, too. 

  The pregnant girls now have quit, and gone to a labor pool so that they can work desk jobs as needed, or some work away from the Corona patients.  Older nurses have done the same thing.  One 72 year old nurse just calls in every shift, sick!  (She is just frightened, but I doubt she has a job for long).  The kids  (young nurses) continue to be very afraid of the whole situation, and that is all they talk about.   Our hospital has cancelled all elective cases, and so the cath. lab/recovery girls are working in the Covid units.  One nurse quit to go up to New York to work in the Covid wards up there to help!



So on it goes, folks...stay safe!



Julie

16 comments:

Lori said...

I cannot imagine hospital work during these crazy and scary times! I hope they get faster test results.
Love your house and may start mine this weekend.
Much love and hugs, stay safe!

---"Love" said...

It must require a tough ole gal to keep working as a nurse during these times! I am so thankful for those of you who are willing to tough it out for the rest of us! I pray the Lord will keep you safe as you continue to help others there. ---"Love"

Loris said...

I'm glad to hear Costco is doing a good job. I went to Target a couple of weeks ago and found the same thing. I usually wipe down the cart with the wipes they provide but there was a woman working there doing it for me even more thoroughly. I thanked her and the brave staff showing up to sell us what we needed...which included some Easter candy that the checker smiled and said that was on her essential list too :-) Some very dear people showing up to their jobs these days. I can understand the fears that keep some from doing it but am proud and grateful for those who do. And really pray they are given what they need to be protected!
I'm glad to hear you still have some PPE. Really praying this thing decreases while the production for protection increases. I saw a video of some nurses with Samaritan Purse heading to work, I think in NY. They are awesome and boy did they have some great PPE in the tent where they worked. Having dealt with the worst of the worst, they know how to do it!
Your houses are very cheery. I've been making ties for my masks as I don't have much elastic but I do have some so might switch to that. It will go a lot faster ;-)
I'm praying for you everyday, Julie. You are in my heart! Thank you so much for posting!

Dirt Road Quilter said...

I've no doubt that you are the voice of reason for your co-workers as well as patients during this difficult time. I just wish everyone would play by the rules (even though they are being made up as this progresses) in order to protect those of you on the front lines because ya'll are IT. If ya'll get sick, it's not like just anyone can step up and do your job. Thank you for all that you do. I know your kind heart has touched many patients and co-workers...past, present, and future. Keeping you in prayer.

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

My prayers are so with you right now--I sure won't want to be a nurse right now--so kinda understand those who leave or quit--but if I was a nurse I do believe I would continue to do my part as you are--it's all the unknowns that scare me--like how soon can you give it to someone else--24 before you yourself show signs and then for how long after--until the last cough is coughed or when the fever goes back to normal--and do the medical people even know the real answers yet??? ok--enough--of this--
I love your houses--I keep saying I am going to do a house quilt--(for years now) and I still haven't and now--I have too many other projects in the works sooo?????
do stay safe--luv, di

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

I'm back--for those hands--try honey--just plain honey--but something under your hands for the drips and spread honey on your hands--leave on for 10-15 minutes and then wash off--it has worked for me more than once--
luv, di

Robin said...

I appreciate you mentioning your work. It is important to get an insiders view of what is going on. I am praying for the quick end of this whole mess so people like you don't have to risk your life just going to work. Wish there was more that I could do to make things right again.

Binsa said...

It is the unknown with this virus.From my heart I thank you all for your sterling effort braveness and strength with this disease. Julie you are a beautiful soul inside and out love and prayers stay safe and well

Angie said...

I think of you every day, Julie, as I watch the news. Sending you quilted hugs of love and deep appreciation, for you, and all of the people on the 'front lines'. Stay safe and well, dear Julie. (love your little house quilt, and even more special knowing one of your scrub tops provides the beautiful blue skies. I know you are a Bluebird of happiness to all of your patients and coworkers, as well as those of us out here that love you!)

KaHolly said...

Can’t blame them for being afraid. This is a scary thing. Thank YOU for all you are doing!

Jennie in GA said...

I so relate to your situation at the hospital. Praying that you stay safe and well.

Quilter Kathy said...

My sister is a nurse near Detroit and all nurses are deployed to covid units wearing all the gear and feeling the pain of it every day... bless their hearts. Hope you are staying well and not getting burned out... this is exhausting and it looks like it will be a marathon... not a sprint!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Scrub fabric for your houses is perfect. My guild is making masks for nurses in several different hospitals, since there just isn't enough to go around. Now we've been asked to make some for a large hospice group. They provide kits.

Sandy said...

Good to hear your reports "from the inside" Julie. Thanks. Your house quilt is perfect.

cspoonquilt said...

You are very brave and competent and resilient. Take care!

AnnieO said...

Wild and scary times--I've seen some of the photos of bruised faces on nurses and docs, don't know how you all get through the week without quitting! We have had 10 deaths in our county (which is a pretty large county, 800,000+ residents), those folks were all in their 70s and 80s with underlying conditions. The news from New York is shocking, with deaths leveling off at 800 per day! Stay well, dear. Try to get some more sleep!

Your houses are so cute! Sewing masks by the handful here in SoCalif.

Comments!

A large tree fell over with a mighty crash, half a block from our home.  We are all grateful that it fell toward the street!  If you can zoo...