Thursday, October 26, 2017

The Garden Mystery!

 I have prepped another block for the Garden Mystery, by Jeni Gaston.  Here is where I am so far...it is not looking cohesive for me yet, but I look forward with great anticipation to every block!

 
 Here is some of the embroidery on the leaves...it did not show up well, but there it is.  I like it!!
 I am working on the hand quilting of this quilt...I tried to machine quilt (stipple) the outer border...boy, what a disaster.  It was a mess from the word go!! Every single time I try to machine quilt, this is the outcome.  Makes me really dislike trying it... So, I hand stippled it, and put the binding on.  I still need a bit of hand quilting in the center and the binding sewn down...
I got this one, lonely Spooky block stitched and trimmed...and I trimmed it 1/4 of an inch too short.  Dang it!  I sewed the rest back on and trimmed it again and pressed it down...hopefully it will be lost in the seam allowance.



So onward!!  I had to giggle at all these errors today!!


Hugs, Julie

8 comments:

The Civil War Quilter said...

It's laugh or cry when we goof up, right? It's usually not noticeable to anyone else anyway. All your projects look great so far. Love your fabric choices!

Janet O. said...

If you enlarge the photo you can see the stitched embellishments on the block very well. Looks lovely!
I machine quilted stacks of practice sandwiches before I gathered enough courage to do it on a real quilt. I admit, I am a wimp.
Great Spooky block--when all is said and done, that little piece on the side will not be obvious to anyone (but you). :)

Leeanne said...

All looking lovely. Quilting does take lots of practice, free motion quilting comes easier to some than others. Hang in there!

Tired Teacher said...

The only quilting I do on the machine is stitching in the ditch and even that sometimes is a disaster.

KaHolly said...

FMQ takes tons of practice! Don’t be discouraged! All your work looks great. You’ve been so busy!

Susan said...

Great embroidery on the flowers and leaves.... The center is spectacular.....

Try the stippling again...... I have a glass of wine before I stipple. It tends to loosen the joints and help me to relax.....

Chantal said...

I saw your beautiful embroidery accents on the leaves and flowers. I love it. You did a beautiful job with that block and that mystery quilt looks like your cup of tea. When I machine quilt, I go really slow and make more stitches per inches in the curves so that the thread does pull on the backside. Practice makes perfect ... but you knew that. Enjoy finishing Pameteer Point. ;^)

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Oh I hate it when I trim something the wrong size. Hope it all works out.

Puffins and purples!!

I was tempted by Puffins...a squirrelly breed!!  LOL!  This fabric was shared with me, and I have been loved these bright, candy corn colors...