Thursday, March 6, 2014

Is spring coming yet?

 Well, I have been working on string blocks.  This is the String X pattern from Bonnie Hunter's Quiltville website. I picked through my strings, and selected any string that reminded me of an Easter Egg.  I am confident that spring will come to us SOMETIME this year, LOL!!  We have had more cold weather this year than any other than I can remember here.  So...I made 48 blocks.  Now I have decided that the quilt should be bigger...so I am combing the drawers and bins for more Easter egg colors!!
 Since I mistakenly thought I had made all the blocks I needed, I made  this little table runner with my leftovers.
 Then this little coaster...
 Then I hand quilted it and bound it.
 And this was all the pastel strings I had left!!  I have cut some more, ready to go,  and now the goal is to make 80 blocks altogether...8x10 block setting.
 In a cutting mood, I cut a bunch of pieces and parts for these blocks.  Not sure where I am going with this, but I like the crazy cacophony of colors on the cutting board, LOL!
 A little pincushion took all of five minutes...
And more of the cut off triangles from the string blocks became this.  I still have more triangles....





*************************Nurse's Notes****************************

We had a poor little lady who was in sad shape last shift I worked at this hospital. She was a frail older lady, and she was coming out of a public restroom, and a young man was running and did not see her and ran into her.  She fell quite hard and shattered her shoulder and hip on the same side.  Quite a game spirit in this patient...she says she is upset about this set back in her life, so we need to hurry and get her better so she get home to her garden!  We will do our best, sweet lady!!

*********************************************


Have a great day, everyone!!

Julie

22 comments:

Megan said...

I love the colours you've combined in your string blocks Julie.

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Mary Ann said...

Pretty! I can send strings if you need more. I believe spring won't show its face for a long time! Well, maybe not for 2 more months. I just hope it is warm enough for our vacation at the beach in May. The great thing about that is that it is 3 blocks from a quilt store!

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Love your string blocks!! Yes~ spring is in the way! :-)

Janet O. said...

I love the idea of using anything that reminded you of an Easter egg--it is all very cheery stuff! And I LOVE the way you keep using the scraps. Fun little creations, Julie.
That little lady is in good hands!! : )

Kyle said...

Your springtime strings are so sweet. The more quilters that work in these colors certainly will help spring come sooner. I love your cacophony of colors too!

Lesley said...

Spring is in hiding. But maybe your beautiful quilt will hurry it along! Love how you use all your scraps!

Cathy said...

Well you quilt reminds me of Spring. I made one of those pincushion jars too. I have my extra pins inside the jar. Great leftover projects. Hugs

Quilter Kathy said...

So pretty! Can I send you some springy strings? I have a few that would like to join in the fun!

Sherrill said...

Ooo, I know about the cold (even though I'm in TX!). Our weatherman was saying last night about how we're pretty close to the top of our list of coldest winters and driest start to the year. NOT a good thing either way. I would gladly welcome some WARM wet days (just not cold!).

hetty said...

Your Easter Egg blocks look great! Just the thing to encourage spring to come. Sorry to hear about that poor lady. Hope she will be okay when gardening season gets here. Maybe that is why spring is late.

Missy Shay said...

I love that quilt, looks like a another string quilt is in my future now! That poor old lady, I hope that boy's mother gave him a good spanking!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

You have been busy!

Ada Plouvier-Kopitopoulou said...

You did a lot of work! The string blocks look lovely. And so does the table runner.

Ruth said...

I noticed Easter is late this year, so maybe you can get it finished by then. :-) It's nice to have a new table runner and mug rug too. Are you by any chance going to the Dallas Quilt Show today? I will be one of the white glove ladies from 10 - 2, so look for me if you go. I would love to meet you.

Nann said...

What bright, cheerful, SPRINGtime projects!

Karen said...

The Queen of Strings does it again!

Doniene said...

If stitching lovely quilty projects would usher in spring - yours would bring it in in style!! Fun, fun projects!!

Love hearing your nurse stories! I'll be praying for the little lady!!

Blessings and hugs!

Nancy said...

The pastels do remind me of Easter eggs! I love how you use every bit of fabric in your lovely creations. Well done!

Lori said...

You start one project and end up with 5 or 6! lol
As I was surveying your Easter egg quilt I wondered how that could be done without those 4 seams in the center of the light. I think it can but once it is quilted you won't even know there is a seam.

Linda O said...

Pretty, pretty strings! So wonderfully springy!

Chantal said...

Oh yes, that quilt sing Spring time is HERE ♫♪. Bet you will see spring before I do LOL.
Thanks for sharing.

Pat said...

Such PRETTY spring colors in that "Easter egg" quilt! I'm trying to study it and see how you did that one. I've done some string block things but none that look like that and I really like it.

Puffins and purples!!

I was tempted by Puffins...a squirrelly breed!!  LOL!  This fabric was shared with me, and I have been loved these bright, candy corn colors...