Monday, July 11, 2011

Plaid quilt along, part two! and a ton of other stuff!

Hi all you Friendlies out there!! Part two of the quilt along...just keep on making string plaid blocks!! Here is where I am...I have 14 more blocks to go to make the size quilt I want. How are you doing?? I find these block very fast to make, do you?? Fun, fun, fun!!! I am thinking about setting options and corner stones and borders...I often make part of the borders, etc, while I am making blocks. It goes so much faster if I don't have all the pieces and parts to sew in the end....less chance of a quilt becoming a UFO!!
I received a treasure in the mail....Lookie! Plaids! and purple...what could possible be better? Well, add orange hand quilting...and it is better!! Add a wonderful striped binding...whoohoo! thank you, Finn...so very much for this early Birthday gift. Finn owned her own quilt shop, and has a blog, and is the most wonderful scrappy quilter, and a wonderful friend. You can click here to see her creations.
I got this quilt back from the quilters...Starry, starry night. I love the density of the quilting, with stars of course...and have cut the binding. I am kind of daunted about sewing all that down...about 10 strips of binding.
And my plaid Jewel box came back too! I took a picture with very low light, so you could see the quilting...fabulous!!!
Here is the whole thing...my new favorite for sure. Believe it or not, I cannot find the binding I made for it, so will keep searching for a day of two...there are just not too many places it can be, now are there? Hmmmm....



ATTENTION PINK FABRIC DONATING PEOPLE!!!

Thank you so much, again, for all your generosity...you donated a ton of pink fabrics to a cancer survivor, who makes cancer quilts! Please see Sharon's blog here, and go down to her July 5th post...I think she loves what you all did...Thank you, thank you!!! Good for you!!




Have a great day, and I will try to make some more progress on our plaid string quilt along....how about you?


I have the coolest quilt picture sent by a friend...I will share it tomorrow...by then I will have figured out how to do it!!



Julie

17 comments:

Janet O. said...

My heart sings at the sight of all of your beautiful scrappy quilts! The Jewel Box is gorgeous.

Elaine Adair said...

You can probably guess I LOVE this quilt! 8-)) The border is PERFECT. I have to tell you, that same border idea came to mind when I made my plaid quilt, but I didn't want to worry about quarter inch seam allowances on the outside/binding of those points - oh duhhhhh, I never thought about turning them IN. 8-(( Great idea to avoid messing with outside points. Occasionally, my brilliance excapes me. 8-(

This is a winner! and I really love the quilting crinkling!!!! 8-))

Lois Arnold said...

Julie, your plaid Jewel Box is wonderful and so are the parts to the string quilt. You might try lighting from the side to help the quilting pop when you photograph finished quilts, too.

Floss said...

It so nice whan you get quilts back from the quilter. Love haw they both turned out.

Barb said...

You have alot of quilty goodness going on over there, those quitls are just wonderful!

camp and cottage living said...

I haven't quilted for years, but I made the amish quilt you have in your banner. It was black with 5 basic solid colors. It was smashing
Your blog is a feast for the eyes!!

Taryn said...

Ooh la la I am loving your starry quilt. I have a son about to move out on his own who would very much like for his mother to make him one of those. Should I show him the picture or not?? That is a lot of binding...

Chookyblue...... said...

lovely quilts.....now onto some binding.....

Leeanne said...

I love them all!
I have made 10 strip blocks.Mine are an eclectic mix of fabrics, but I think it will look great.Funny how much fun they are....but blast the dinner needs to be cooked and washing sorted....boring but necessary!

Lorraine said...

Dont you just love the excitement of getting quilts back from the quilter! I don't think I will ever get tired of finishing quilts...LOL...such a great feeling. Love your star quilt..and the quilting is fabulous!

Jan said...

Love all your quilts---especially like the little quilt, so sweet! You have done a wonderful job on all of these!

KaHolly said...

Looking good!!! I love them all. Glad to know I'm not the only one who 'loses things'!! ~karen

Lori said...

In my mind I'm making the string quilt! LOL I love seeing your progress. I jsut left Bonnie and she was working on a few differetn string projects. I love them all!!

Your quilts turned out lovely. I hope you find the binding soon so you can finish it up.

Barb said...

love your plain little quilt and the string block are great!

Helen in the UK said...

Both the quilts you got back from the LA are looking wonderful. Bet you can't wait to get them finished and ready to use :)

Merilyn said...

The Starry Starry Night quilt has turned out beautifully!!! Love the plaid quilts too! you really have been working hard on them lately!!!

golo8 said...

Just love your string quilt.... scrapie s are my favorite. Have you done a selvage quilt yet... they are really fun...

Puffins and purples!!

I was tempted by Puffins...a squirrelly breed!!  LOL!  This fabric was shared with me, and I have been loved these bright, candy corn colors...