Sunday, September 1, 2019

Dear Jane!! (Jane and Julie quilt...) slow stitching Sunday style!

 Here is where I am, with Dear Jane.  I like this quirky little block...fast and fun!  I tried to match Jane's fabric from my stash, and this is as close as I could get.  Applique will be tonight, when the dishes are done and a funny movie is on the TV!!!



Ann Miksch will be joining our Dear Jane journey.  She does not have a blog, but is starting her Dear Jane quilt.  I am so happy she will be sharing picture along as she goes, and I will publish them here for her.  Thank you all for your interest and sewing along!!




Binsa:  https://cobblestonebridgequiltsnthings.blogspot.com/


Look at where Binsa is!  WOW, you go girl!!!




Lcrrkhs:  http://lcrrkhs.blogspot.com/   Kathleen

Kathleen has lot on the go, so go see where she is on hers!!!




Carole:  http://wheelsonthewarrandytebus.blogspot.com/

Carole is very organized and has a map of where she is...way to go, Carole!!


Please see the above quilters....we are all in different stages of our journey with this quilt, but I think everyone is challenged and having fun with it!  I know I am!!!




I continue to add stitches to this quilt, my forever applique project.  I can see the stitches better from the back than from the front!!!  I had to add some heart quilting for the sashing...so here I go!!!
 I hope that blue vanishing pen marks actually vanishes!!!
I have been sneaking in some piecing on this quilt.  I am half way done with the top.  The fun colors make me happy and add some interest to my days!!  This is the quilt made from the scrap fabrics from the quilt shop, that is now closed...I miss our local quilt shops!!  Any closing around where you are?


I am liking to Kathy, here...slow stitching day!


I am cutting out blocks today, and using the method of putting the pieces for each block on leftover plastic platters that McDonald's uses for pancakes!  When we travel, dear hubby like pancakes.  I hate to throw them out, so I wash them and re-use them over and over, like my friend Chantal.  This way, I can easily carry the block pieces to the machine and sew when I get a moment.  I have a lot of projects on the go, and of course get behind, but you know what?  It is all OK!  This is not open heart surgery recovery, which is what I do as a nurse, and that HAS to be perfect...so this quilting this is for fun and lovely moments with all of you.

*****************************Nurse's notes***************************

We have a 95 year old.  She was absolutely a ball of fire, doing yard work and all her housework and driving.  She underwent a fairly simple procedure...and everything went awry.  She was getting better, then worse, and now better again.  Before she was on the vent (life-support), she told me she loved me, and shared her mother's quilt-making and life on the farm.  I told her I loved her too....she has such a lovely smile, all her own teeth, pretty and sparkling (rare for 95!)   Her hair was perfectly arranged, so I try to keep it that way for her, even though she does not know it now.   I pray for her very life and safety, and peace for her kids...in their 70's.





Julie

18 comments:

dianne said...

bless you and the work you do with love...

Loris said...

Prayers for your sweet patient. My mom was like that till she passed at 92. Such determination!
I have easily gotten those blue pen marks out...however, my trouble has actually been the fabric bleeding when it got wet. I think the best way to go is to leave it in till I finish binding it and throw it in the washer with color catchers. The latest was on a QOV that I was quilting for the guild and I couldn't wash it for them. Fortunately it was just on a busy fabric on the back. Apparently, I was a little too generous with the water spray bottle ;-)

Robin said...

I appreciate you sharing your interaction with your patient. I would hope that everyone could have a nurse that cares as much as you do.

Chantal said...

You are an impostor, Julie! Come on now, admit it, you are an angel. I knew it! To help them get back from the brim like that takes a special talent and you have that touch. The angel's touch. May you live to be way over 100 because we need so many more like you. Blessings. ;^)

Jill said...

Brave soul working on Dear Jane. Love the heart quilting pattern. Good idea of reusing MacDonald's plastic. Such a sweet patient that God placed in your care.

---"Love" said...

Your Dear Jane fabric appears to be a perfect match for the picture. I love how the little checks quilt is progressing. As I've said many times before, I hope, if and when I'm in the hospital, my nurse is as kind and caring as you are! ---"Love"

Teresa said...

Love your Dear Jane block. Have you ever heard of Susan Gatewood? She has a free blog where she posts machine paper piecing instructions for just about all the blocks. This was a life saver for me when doing the pieced triangle blocks.
You can just google Susan Gatewood Dear Jane and it will probably take you to her blog.

Tired Teacher said...

I agree with Chantal - you are an angel on earth.

Kyle said...

Dear Jane, Dear Julie, both extra special.

Karen said...

The circles in the Jane block are just perfect.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Doing great on Dear Jane! Going to be a beauty!

cspoonquilt said...

OOOOh rhat scrappy Irish chain is wonderful. The colors are so cheerful! Might have to revisit that quilt pattern someday soon. cheers!

KaHolly said...

Bless your patient's heart! You’re so good at what you do, and that includes making beautiful scrap quilts!

AnnieO said...

You matched the Dear Jane fabric so well in your block! Always so much going on in your quilting world!

We have many elderly patients at my work, some are so sad to see, bodies falling apart and the struggle to move. It is definitely the "always active" folks who fare better--a good lesson for people like me who don't exercise regularly! Our oldest patient was 97, youngest 17 one day last week. The 97 year old has all her marbles and handles all her own affairs, though now lives in a senior living place so she doesn't have to cook or drive!

Janet O. said...

Everyone should be so lucky to have a nurse like you!

I am happy to hear that Annie is joining your DJ journey. I look forward to seeing her work. She is one of my favorite peeps. :)
That is a happy quilt from the now closed quilt shop scraps. We have had shops around here close over the years, but it seems a new one always opens up somewhere else nearby. I still have 2 shops within 15 minutes, another one within 30 minutes, and several that are within about an hour's drive.

Jennie in GA said...

Julie, I admire your compassion and ability to see your patients as people, not diagnosed. We nurses sometimes struggle with that, especially when things get busy.
I am always amazed that DJ has reimagined popular for so long. It is an amazing quilt. Wouldn’t you love to know what Jane would think if she knew what a sensation her humble quilt i?
I love your new scrappy quilt. It’s a ray of sunshine.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Oh maybe if I follow along I will get inspired to start! Maybe it time to stop dreaming and start!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Too bad a simple procedure did that to the lady.

A finish

Hi everyone!  I have been kind of obsessed about finishing this jacket.  I used a lot of scraps!!!  Above you can see the large, angled patc...