Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Days off are just the ticket!!!

 Hi everyone!  I finished all the stars, and so now I am working on the outer border of this quilt, Monterrey Medallion, by Atkinson Designs.  My local quilting group members are making this quilt...five of us, in total.
 It is pretty big!!  and it is fun to see the progress, making one block a day.
 Just blocks are just some mindless sewing...green was the Rainbow color of March, so there you go!!  That red one snuck in there...cheeky little quilt block!
These look a bit like a Christmas cactus to me...but they were on sale at Home Depot, named "Spring cactus.".  I missed a picture when all the blooms were open, but I love the color, don't you??



************************Nurse's notes**********************

Thank you for all your sweet notes and support of my WHINING of last post!  LOL!  I was just super tired...but it got me to thinking and set me to action!

Short term strategies for this type of patient:

1.  Male nurses assigned to the patient, if possible.
2.  Don't go in alone to room, to perform care...take a friend.
3. De-brief ASAP, when coming out of room and when shift is over

Long term strategies to take up with management and unit council:

1.  Did we assess alcohol abuse before consenting for cardiac surgery (in this case, we did...charted it)
2.  Have a plan in place for limit setting for his behavior.
3.  Enlist family, if possible, if safe for them
4.  Have a no tolerance policy for abuse.
5.  Partner with the docs for meds, as needed and appropriate.




THERE!  That feels much better!!  A plan is good...


AND DAYS OFF ARE BETTER!

Quilting is healing and therapeutic for me...so on I go, no pressure, just the sheer joy of it!!!  Thank you dear friends, for your support!!


*****************************************************


Julie

14 comments:

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I love what you're up to, quilt-wise. I haven't ever seen a Spring Cactus; it is lovely and that color is such a cheery shade of red. I am glad that you have a plan in place to avoid future unpleasant"situations". Have a great week!

Sandy said...

At first glance I thought you said " debrief as soon as... $#it is over. Lol!
Your star quilt is beautiful. What fun to make!

Sue SA said...

Well done!

Karen said...

I can see where a lot of work has gone into the star quilt. All the cutting of parts and sewing. Scrappy good!

Tired Teacher said...

Oooh, all those stars! What a fabulous quilt. Your plan for abusive patients is great. No one should have to deal with that behavior - zero tolerance is good.

Kate said...

oh dear - your post made me think of my husband, who is a retired physical therapist assistant... he had a problem with some of the patients fondling his behind (it is awfully cute)... and he was really upset that the nursing staff, mostly female, thought it was cute and funny, and would not take him seriously....... we have a ways to go on these matters, it seems. He finally convinced someone to reassign those patients to a female staff member, AND he learned a lot about harassment in the process - now he takes women more seriously when they say someone has touched them inappropriately..........

Janet O. said...

I really like Monterrey Medallions--bought the pattern many years ago, but have yet to do anything with it. But I dream of doing it one day--I love that you did yours in R/W/B.
Love the cheeky block in there with the greens. :)
I just saw Spring Cactus plants in a store today--tempting, but I have over 40 houseplants, including 4 Christmas Cacti. I need to show some restraint.
I am glad there is a plan in place at your work now, and hope some of your other strategies will be adopted.

Donna said...

Love that Monterrey Medallions quilt! Yes that cactus is a unique color, beautiful! Glad there is a plan of action for difficult patients!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

What a striking quilt -Monterrey Medallions - I ordered it from Amazon, now I really needed another pattern, but yours is so striking and I like the borders! Great work

Lori said...

LOVE your star quilt!! It seems like it went together fast!

Putting together a plan is a perfect recipe for success! Not only for you, but the other nurses.

Vicki W said...

Glad your therapeutic day off worked!

---"Love" said...

Your star quilt is going to be beautiful, and I really like what I could see of your border! ---"Love"

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I love that top quilt. I have a collection of star blocks somewhere (purchased already made) that I need to do something with.

Quilter Kathy said...

Oh that is terrible that you experience that in your job.
I wish you could administer a big dose of a tranquilizer for anyone being mean to the staff.
It's so unnecessary and unfortunately so frequent.
That's a great plan to deal with someone who is out of control, if you can't sedate :)

A finish

Hi everyone!  I have been kind of obsessed about finishing this jacket.  I used a lot of scraps!!!  Above you can see the large, angled patc...