Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Kitty cat tutorial!

 I made a tutorial for the kitty cat blocks I have been making.  They are fast and fun to make!! Some pieces are turned differently in the block than I have show up above...I was just showing all the pieces cut out.

Cutting instructions; please cut as follows:

Print fabric

5.5 inch x 6.5 inch rectangle (cut 1)  this is the body of the kitty
4.5 inch x 3.5 inch rectangle (cut 1)  this is the head of the kitty
1.5 inch x 9.5 inch strip (cut 1)  this is the tail of the kitty
1.5 inch x 2.5 inch strip  (cut 1)  this is the small part of the kitty's tail
1.5 inch x 1.5 inch squares (cut 2)  these are the ears of the kitty


Background Fabric

4.5 inch x 3.5 inch rectangle (cut 1)  spacer between head and tail section
9.5 inch x 1.5 inch strip (cut 2)  these are side border strips
10.5 x 1.5 inch strip (cut 1)  top border strip
4.5 inch x 1.5 inch strip (cut 1)  ear section
3.5 inch x 1.5 inch strip (cut 1) spacer connecting body and tail
1.5 inch x 1.5 inch squares (cut 7)  for connector corners



 Here is my little, very professional drawing...giggle!  Well maybe not professional, but it worked for me.
 Here are my cut out pieces. I sewed the ear print pieces to the 4.5 inch strip, using the connector corner method.  I sewed two background connector 1.5 inch squares to the head print section.  I then sewed two more of the background connector corners to the body print section, as above.  I sewed a background square to the 2.5 inch strip of print to form part of the tail.  I then sewed the two remaining background squares to the tail strip, to form the long tail.
 Then I sewed the head together, then added the spacer as above to form the top part of the kitty.  The body is also sewn together as above.
 And then here is the whole block, done!!!
Whoop!  I have two kitty cats!!  I am making twenty for this quilt.  I was thinking...I should just do what makes me happy, and what could be better for me than pink!!!  So please enjoy and make kitty cats to your hearts desire!




Thank you for your patience with my tutorial...hope you make some kitty quilts and please show me too!!




Happy Thanksgiving in advance...pie making has been on the agenda today, as I have to work a lot of the holiday...the hospital does not close!!



Julie

19 comments:

Podunk Pretties said...

Cute blocks, thanks for sharing!

Quilting Babcia said...

Thank you for sharing! Happy Thanksgiving!

Tired Teacher said...

The blocks are cute and look like they are fun to make. Thanks for posting the directions.

Chantal said...

Thank you Julie for fitting this tutorial post into your busy schedule. I appreciate it. I might not end up with an entire litter but I will definitively have one kitty. Okay, two because one is such a lonely number, hehehe! ;^)

Binsa said...

Happy Thanksgiving Julie wonderfull tutorial

GO STARS! said...

Thanks for the tutorial and thanks for your work as a nurse. My niece was in the hospital at Christmas time and we so appreciated the nurses and doctors who cared for her. Happy thanksgiving!

Ardelia said...

Thanks for the tutorial.Have a Happy thanksgiving.

Joyce Carter said...

Happy Thanksgiving Julie. Thank you so much for the tutorial for the cat. It will make a very cute little quilt.
(P.S. Waiting on some cute little Winnie the Pooh type bear patterns. LOL

Lilac Joan said...

Thankful for all the doctors, nurses, aide staff in hospitals. I have never been in the hospital on a holiday, but it is a comfort to know they are there if needed. Thank you for all you do for us!

Lori said...

Happy Thanksgiving friend!

Kyle said...

Have a wonderful holiday. Happy Thanksgiving!

sanpiseth40 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
BUDSMOM said...

Thank You! So cute!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the cat block. I am going to make a quilt with this block and thanks for letting me know I’ll need twenty blocks

Anonymous said...

Lovely block-may enlarge for a baby quilt.Thanks for sharing this.

Anonymous said...

I appreciate you saying which piece is for what part of the cat n. Very helpful.

Beverly said...

I am excite to start making the cats tomorrow. Thanks for the instructions.

Anonymous said...

What was the finished size of the block?

Anonymous said...

Are these cutting equal to one square? Or a quilt?

Hexies, rainbow quilts and plaids!

Good morning to all!!!  Above is a hexagon, for English paper piecing.  My kitten Lucky has discovered them, and decided that they are great...