Sunday, October 6, 2019

Dear Jane update 10-06-2019!!

 Today was the day to make this red block for my Dear Jane quilt.  It is paper pieced, and the center is itty bitty little.  Making progress one block at a time! I was gone last week, so I missed this one.  On we go, Janiacs!!!
 For my hand stitching today, I am hand quilting on this quilt.  All the block quilting is finished, and the borders have been stippled by hand in the inside of the swag.  I am finishing up the sashing quilting.  Hearts all over the sashing!  I am using a stencil and blue marking pen to mark the hearts.
 Here is the back.  I wish you could see the hearts better!  A weird thing has happened; I knew I had one more cross row of hearts to do, and went to do it today.  And it was already done.  It is kind of freaking me out, because I have no memory of quilting it.  As a nurse, I immediately thought.. HAVE I STROKED?   Hahaha!  The nurses will get this...Well maybe not, but lack of sleep affects memory too...maybe that is it, but it is a happy mistake anyway!!!!!  Very little remains on this quilt to quilt.  It has become a cherished friend to me, with lots of learning and lots of love stitched into it.
 A friend saved these pieces from the "free" table at the quilt guild, and gave them to me.  I have been admiring the pieces, obviously 1930's original fabrics.  They are fragile....80 years old.
 The rings don't really fit together very well.....a huge circle in the center.
So what if I reworked them, appliqued them onto solid fabric to preserve them, and make these blocks of them?

Any opinions???





Have a lovely day!  I am linking to Kathy for slow stitching.








Julie

17 comments:

Loris said...

HA! I'm re-organizing my neutral cupboard this morning and have no idea when I got some of these pieces. The mind is a terrible thing to lose ;-)
Those 30's pieces are lovely. You will make something beautiful, no doubt! Have fun with them :-)

Chantal said...

I love your red fabric used for the DJ block. Very well done too. You got a lovely gift in beautiful 30's fabric. Sounds like you found a great way to use them. I was thinking of making one flower, removing a few petals and sew them as if they were blowing in the wind. But I like your idea. Enjoy! ;^)

Karrin Hurd said...

Great work and Dear Jane, and love the quilt you are working on. Love the 30s pieces.

Anonymous said...

What is the size of the Dear Jane blocks?

Your appliqué quilt is gorgeous! As a former lab tech, I had to giggle about your first thought when finding the area you had quilted with no memory. Yep, I can relate.

As for the antique quilt pieces, I have no advice, but they are really pretty.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I love that red block. Glad the quilting fairies are helping out. I've seen many quilts with just the 1/4th of a Dresden in the corner of a block. Great way to use those fan. Would make a great table runner or wall quilt.

cspoonquilt said...

The hand quilting project is beautiful! It will be a real Keep-Sake! I think stabilizing those '30's pieces is a good idea. It will make them more secure and easier to sew together. cheers, cw

Anonymous said...

I would make them into ONE block as a keepsake and remembrance of old fabrics. Glad they came to you.

Kyle said...

Your applique quilt is gorgeous and the amount of quilting adds to the beauty of it most definitely. It's an fabulous heirloom. I love taking old pieces and making something new but worth of the vintage fabrics. I think your Dresden petals would look good how you've laid them out. They'd go further than just one block.

Julierose said...

Oh I think that definitely appliqueing those partial dresdens onto a block would be so lovely a nice soft vintage look hugs, Julierose

Anonymous said...

I love 1930's fabric and yours are beautiful. I'd definitely make a 1/4 Dresden block like you have photographed. You may not need to back them since they will be appliqued to a background block. If they feel flimsy though you can always allply a fusible backing. Post pictures once you've decided which way to go!
Barbie

Jill said...

The applique sampler is gorgeous. Lucky you to get fabrics from the 30s. I like your idea of putting the pieces together more like a fan than a dresden plate. Either that or some people put 'melons' or 'pumpkin seeds' in the center to make the hole look smaller. Just a thought as that would involve more time-consuming work.

CathieJ said...

I love the idea of working those vintage pieces onto a solid fabric to preserve them. As for lacking sleep I am writing this at 4 a.m. having been unable to sleep since 1 a.m. Yes, it definitely messes with your brain. Your quilting is beautiful by the way.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Nice Jane blocks and very pretty vintage Dresden spokes, lucky you! I, too, forget things-- not being a nurse it never occurs to me that I may have had a stroke(!) but end up scratching my head when little surprises turn up (like your quilted row!); life is an adventure that delights at every turn! Have a wonderful week, my friend!

Tired Teacher said...

Love the heart quilting - I can see it when I enlarge the photo on my tablet. Use the Dresden bits in the quarter blocks. The pieces won't get as stressed as they would in the large circle.

KaHolly said...

Quarter blocks are a perfect way to go. With your scrappy genius, you’ll turn them into something beautiful.

Stephanie D said...

I think that was a stroke of genius myself, making those blocks into Dresden fans! But I never think I've had a stroke when things like the quilting happen; I just figure I was sleepwalking, or I have a guardian angel who likes to help me out a bit. Or elves. Probably elves.

Janet O. said...

Cute little Jane block!
Oh, my! That is a gorgeous quilt, Julie. Maybe their are quilting fairies that come in the night for especially nice people like you. :)
I like what you have done with the Dresden pieces. But I wondered if you can make them into a few Dresden plates if you don't try to put so many "blade" in each one? But whatever you do with them, I know it will be wonderful!

Puffins and purples!!

I was tempted by Puffins...a squirrelly breed!!  LOL!  This fabric was shared with me, and I have been loved these bright, candy corn colors...