Friday, October 19, 2018

Fall table runner

 Today, I worked on this table runner.  The binding is my fun night time treat, to hand stitch that binding to the back of the quilt.  I think it will look cute with some miniature pumpkins on the runner!
 I went to a quilter's rummage sale today.  It was named a "Fall festival",  and each person who wanted to rented a table for 25 dollars and sold whatever they wanted to.   There were treats and yummy goodies too!  Above is a pencil holder...perfect for my work.
One lady started a conversation with me, and she said...everything on my table is a dollar.  The large piece of fabric is 4 yards, for one dollar...she said she was cleaned out her sewing room and was going to buy more new things with her earnings!


Another lady, a very much older lady, was selling big bundles and kits and yardage and bolts of fabric.  We started talking, and she said that her best friend had died, and her friend's children were throwing out all her quilting supplies, and so the lady went and rescued it and was selling it for the money to help finish some of her deceased friends quilts in progress, for quilting and batting and the like.  Her eyes were so full of tears, and I just hugged her tight, and said thank you for being such a lovely friend.  She told me she loved me!!  What a sweet lady, don't you think???  She had lots of bundles of plaids, so I purchased some of those.





Julie

18 comments:

julieQ said...

test

Chantal said...

Hi there sweet friend. I see you already know this trick to get the comments to your mail box.
I love your little table runner. You scored big with your little shopping. Good for you. Enjoy! ;^)

julieQ said...

Thank you, Chantal!!

Janet O. said...

That is a great Fall runner!
Oh, what a wonderful sale you found! And I love the story of you two sweet ladies sharing a hug.

Tired Teacher said...

It saddens me to hear of family members tossing crafting items following a death. That is why it is important for EVERY quilter, knitter, artist, etc. to have a will that explains specifically where they want their tools and supplies to go.

Bless the woman who is going to finish her friend's projects, and bless you for caring enough to listen.

---"Love" said...

Your little runner is really cute. I think you must be one of the most caring and lovable people of all the people whose blogs I read. God bless you! ---"Love"

Donna said...

Love your fall table runner! How sad that the woman had to rescue her friend's craft supplies. They should at least donate them to a charity shop.

KaHolly said...

Sweet table runner! I feel so badly for the lady who lost her friend.

Quilting Babcia said...

I love fall quilts that don't scream Halloween. Your table runner is beautiful and so understated with the plaid and checks, and looks perfect for a country setting. It is so sad when families just throw away a quilter's stash of tools and supplies, especially when there are so many would-be quilters who cannot afford to buy these items and quilting ministries that would happily help with finishing any UFO's for donation to any number of worthy recipients.

Donna Keating said...

The black and white check border on the table runner is just perfect. Hope the ladies at the fair were very successful with their goals. Sweet stories.

Quilter Kathy said...

YOU are so sweet! You scored a lovely collection of plaids to add to the stash!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

My family already knows who all to contact about my machines and quilting stuff. It's sad when their art isn't appreciated by the family. I have a few quilts from garage sales, that we couldn't convince them to keep in the family. THIS family appreciates them.

Sue SA said...

So sweet to know your friend rescued your beloved stash and sold it to people who will put it to good use and also love it. Not to mention finish your UFO's, we all need a friend like that!

Kyle said...

You'll make good use of your new fabrics. I'm glad those women were passing on the fabrics rather than letting others give it the heave ho!

julieQ said...

test

WoolenSails said...

Nice buys, those are wonderful fabrics and a steal at that price.
We had one that had donations so you took what you wanted and then made a donation, but I wasn't able to make it.

Debbie

Lori said...

You are such an encourager!!
Love the fabrics you got!

QuiltGranma said...

Looks like you "made out like a bandit" as one former boyfriend described Christmas to me. Looks like you did well!

Hexies, rainbow quilts and plaids!

Good morning to all!!!  Above is a hexagon, for English paper piecing.  My kitten Lucky has discovered them, and decided that they are great...