Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Scrappin' it!

 For me, there is nothing like a little mindless string piecing to set my mind at complete peace (piece).   LOL!! Just sewing away, not worrying too much about what goes with what.  These scraps were all in a bag, and I think they need to all stay together.  A collection...I am sewing with a collection!!
 I have all the center blocks together, and now I am working on the border.  The colors are pretty vibrant, and I am sorry that the flash washed them out a bit.  There is a lot of orange and black in the strings, so that is why the orangish inner border was chosen.
 In the future, I will not use scraps for the sashing, but a pure white.  I shouldn't muddy up these pretty colors!
There was only one of this center string in the sack..."loves me, loves me not"... maybe as a girl you took a flower and pulled the petals off one by one, wondering if your sweetheart loved you!!  Salvages and all, they all came together in this quilt. 



*********************Pondering************************

I am really trying very hard to use up every bit of every piece of fabric that I have ever bought, or been gifted, or thrift store acquired.  Seems like I try so hard to do this, that I may have lost sight of what I really, truly love.  I want to work with my plaids...I want to work with my scraps too.  I think I just need to set a plan, each month, of one UFO, one hand project, and one other quilt to concentrate on.  And put all the others away, so the scraps stop calling me to them!!!  Don;'t worry, pretty pieces and strings and squares...you will wind up in a quilt someday!!

******************************************************


Thankfulness

A darling son
Lunch with dear husband
A warm snug home




Have a great day, everyone!!


Julie

17 comments:

Janet O. said...

This is so very pretty! Kind of surprising to see you sew from "a collection". I am so used to random scrappiness here! : )
If you figure out a way for the scraps to stop calling to you--or a way that you are just able to stop listening, would you pass the word along?

Leeanne said...

There is so much to be thankful for in life! Visiting your blog is one of them! Gosh the scrappy string has a real modern look to it, maybe it's the aqua and orange fabrics? Looks great. You amaze me with all you accomplish, so much! Sunny bird singing spring day here in Northland New Zealand!

Nann said...

The aqua, orange, and black are such a snappy combination! Good luck with using *every* bit of fabric.

Quilter Kathy said...

Absolutely do what makes your heart happiest!
And enjoy every scrappy moment :)
This is a gorgeous quilt in the making!

Karen said...

The collection of fabrics works well together. Good idea to keep them altogether though they were scraps.

Angie said...

Ah sweet Julie, you are always so inspiring. LOVE your pumpkin in the previous post---and how in the world do you do ALL that you do??? Please, could you share some of your energy with me? :) ALWAYS remember to make some time for what you love most, even if it's only a few minutes each day. Sending hugs of love.

Nancy said...

It's gorgeous! I don't think the scrappy sashing detracts from the blocks at all.

Anonymous said...

LOVE!!!! Seriously!! Wish it were mine...doesn't go with my home but sure made a happy smile!

Natashahcoy@gmail.com said...

The string quilt is beautiful!

Loris said...

Love these strings together! Fun collection 😊 I kind of like the sashing too.
I don't know about putting your scraps away. You make the coolest quilts with them!

Chantal said...

Beautiful colour in this collection. I really like the aqua. Again not something I have in my scrap but every time I see in your quilt I find it so beautiful. Get ready for plaid soon. ;^)

antique quilter said...

the quilt is looking good! love the orange in there
ok I think thats a good plan to work with what you really love working with and then have a project or two using up what you have….
you have to stay happy in quilting after all its suppose to be fun and relaxing, not a chore!
Kathie

Lori said...

What a fun quilt! I like your plan to be more focused, although the scraps really need to be quiet! lol

Linda O said...

What a nice, bright, happy-looking quilt! Love the bits of selvage and the single strip of the wording! Great job! I also need to focus on just a couple things at a time! Too many new ideas and not nearly enough time. But please don't stop listening to your scraps calling, because you make such beautiful treasures from them. I also have much to be thankful for...

Barb said...

what a great scrap quilt - Love the color and design.
the selvages add a cute touch.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I've bought yardage of fabrics (new and lots at thrift stores) not knowing what I'm going to do with them. I just save them 'until'. Well, last night, 'until' came along for several of those fabrics as backing for 19 table runners. I pulled out others, last month, for 11 other table runners, too. Saving the fabrics is ok, too. Besides, sometimes we just need something 'new' to work on, not just finish up with older fabrics. It's ok.

Valerie the Pumpkin Patch Quilter said...

I am struggling with this same concept - I have a big huge hoard of fabric and scraps...I am so slow to make a quilt I don't know if I'll ever use them all up!!!

Hexies, rainbow quilts and plaids!

Good morning to all!!!  Above is a hexagon, for English paper piecing.  My kitten Lucky has discovered them, and decided that they are great...