Tuesday, July 26, 2016

ONWARD!! Plains and Plaids!!

 I have been sewing on these blocks this morning.  I am enjoying how the plains (solid bright fabrics), make the plaids sort of sparkle more!!  I need to cut more, having sewing all I have cut out for now.  Each block only has five seams, and all the points seem to be coming together well, and kind of mindless...I like it, LOL!
 And another plaid block...just playing with ideas, here!!
With all the plaid trimmings, I made a hot-pad...I like the round shape!  I found out the bias strips are the only solution to make the binding lay flat, the piece being round and not square.  Just right to sit a hot pie on, or something yummy!!!




Nurse's Notes!!


I had the great pleasure of caring for a vet in our hospital...the VA just did not do anything for him, and in desperation, he and his wife came here.  A young kiddo to me, he has lived through experiences from several lifetimes worth of trauma in war.  Open heart surgery is no joke...and yet when he woke up?  Polite, "yes ma'am, no, ma'am, please and thank you"  I just loved him and all his family.  All in the Army, helicopter pilots, and paratroopers.  What a great honor and pleasure to care for him!!!





Have a great day, everyone!  Hug a vet!!!


Julie

12 comments:

Tired Teacher said...

Your nurse's notes always make me grateful for nurses, like you, who are very caring and take a personal interest in their patients. Thank you, nurses!

Love your plaids and solids - they look amazing.

gayle said...

I always love your plaids, and those triangles/geese are really fun!

Leeanne said...

The plaids do have a sparkle about them cos' of the plains. Cute scrappy hot pad. Been thinking of you and your 'Log Cabin Lunies" as I quilt a log cabin for one of my customers.

Sophie Zaugg said...

I love your triangles project ! Both bright and warm. I'm looking forward to seeing the final result.

Janet O. said...

Love to see the creations that come when you play in the plaids. : )
Sad that this man couldn't get the help he needed from the VA, but I'll bet they thoroughly appreciated having such a caring nurse.

Kyle said...

You always stitch those plaids into something lovely. I'm so glad your were this vet's nurse.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Love your plaid geese - they keep speaking to me. Thank you for caring for our Vets!!

Vic in NH said...

Thank you for caring for and appreciating our fine veterans. The Plains & Plaids certainly do sparkle together! Good job!

Karen said...

I am going to call your first picture of the blocks you are making Flying Geese" as that is what they look like. Only with a bit of a twist. I like the look. Are they foundation pieced?

Quilter Kathy said...

That story is so sad that after all he has been through, he still is going through so much.
I hope he is able to fully recover and enjoy some good times in his life.

Chantal said...

Love your plaid and the pinwheel too. Oh I wonder what will become of that pinwheel now!! Great job! ;^)

scarlett said...

Love your creative potholder.

Hexies, rainbow quilts and plaids!

Good morning to all!!!  Above is a hexagon, for English paper piecing.  My kitten Lucky has discovered them, and decided that they are great...