Sunday, July 19, 2009

Progress!

Progress on the Sylvia's Bridal Sampler quilt above: this little 6 inch block has 60 pieces! I am so enjoying this project, as I am learning to piece so much better. Yahoo! Fun to stretch a little in my skills. Not perfect, I never will attain that, but better piecing skill is great! This is called the "Barrister Block".

Using up a few more of the 1,000,000 half square triangles blocks I have saved. This is a gift for a nurse friend at work. She loves red!


I pulled out all my plaid scraps in anticipation of the making of the plaid string quilt in my last post. A wonderful blogger commented that this quilt was in a book by Evelyn Sloppy. Huge thanks to MJ in Michigan, who shared this information with me. I appreciate all your comments so very much, thanks so much to all of you! So....want to do this quilt with me? Come on, pull out those plaids you have been hoarding and make this quilt with me!!



I finished cutting all the rest of the pieces for the Jewel Box quilt. These are in a box salvaged from the trash bin at the hospital, the kind that sterile supplies come in. I am enjoying recycling these boxes.
********************************************************************************
(edited after publishing)

Hope each of you has a wonderful day today!!

Julie


13 comments:

Ali Honey said...

Yes, you most of all try your best - especially for other people - I like your attitude!

I made an Evelyn Sloppy quilt - lovely design. ( awful name but it's memorable ). My purple and lime green one ( in my side bar )Unfortunately I haven't got any plaids saved .

Teresa said...

I like the pattern for the plaid quilt too - can't wait to see yours unfold. If I did not have my Circus Stars quilt in process I would be tempted to take that one on.

Your "friendly" encounter with the crazy lady is just so weird.

Pat said...

LOVE your block shown here and also the little gift for the nurse friend at work. CRAZY lady....beware of her and avoid her at all costs!!!

Debi said...

You didn't say this was so but my guess is you were on the side of the road facing traffic. Maybe she was mad because you were on the wrong side of the road. You're supposed to ride in the same direction as traffic, not opposing it. Just a thought. and then again, maybe she just made a quilt that was all wonky and that put her in a bad mood. =:)

Marilyn Robertson said...

You are tempting me Julie! I have been collecting plaid shirts lately. Your little Barrister Block is a cutie!

AnnieO said...

You can't possibly have more than 120,000 leftover triangle squares, you big exaggerator you! LOL. Seriously your piecing looks great. Doesn't it make you happy when you have a box full of pieces cut out to play with? Have fun.

*karendianne. said...

Pretties for the Jewel Box Quilt. You'll whip through that in no time! I'm so impressed with your SBS block. It's amazing. I continually just want to do this ...but I'm only mumbling that not saying. And your adorable gift for you friend at work - oh I love it!

Check out all your killer plaid scraps. You rock! Such a full spectrum quilter you are.

Darcie said...

Oooh...gorgeous batik collection you've got there, Jules! I cannot wait to see these in action.

And the plaids! How fun! So now hubby has no pj bottoms, nor does he have sleeves?!? lol

Hugs!

Julie @ Jaybird Quilts said...

i love all the neat pieces cut ready to go!!

Carole said...

What a sweet little quilt for a friend! Thanks for sharing the name of the quilt! cheers!

Anonymous said...

You've got some fantastic plaids! It's a wonderful start to that fantastic quilt!

Unknown said...

Fantastic collection of plaid scraps, im in the planning stages of a scrappy plaid quilt for my father in law :)

The Rabbit Factory said...

Love your block...well done1

Hexies, rainbow quilts and plaids!

Good morning to all!!!  Above is a hexagon, for English paper piecing.  My kitten Lucky has discovered them, and decided that they are great...