Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Bear Paw Progress

Good afternoon! Day off again...housework in progress, laundry is spinning, and I took a little time to do this. I decided just out of the blue to domestic machine quilt the Bear Paw quilt, inspired by Judy Laquidara at sunshine quilts. I quilted in the ditch...It was all hanging together pretty well, so I added the binding. I think I will add some hand quilting too. This is made entirely with old stash, including the binding, pieced together from old leftover bits of binding. I still need to hand stitch the binding. It is just the right size for a cuddle quilt. The above picture is with the flash...
And this picture is taken without the flash. Amazing the difference in colors!

I made this for the Fourth of July, well, a bit late, but hey, it is still July! I still need to finish the binding and clip strings. It is hand quilted, insomnia quilted, I should say. I have been waking up every night at 2-3 AM, and just cannot sleep the rest of the night. Yuckola! But I do get a bit of sewing done.

Remember all my blocks were done for the bright stars quilt from Judy Laquidara's blog? Well, I put one row together today. I was so worried about my wonky blocks, but I think it will work. Still three more rows and sashings, then borders to do.






Do you have a binding basket? I save all my binding pieces and then use them for my scrap quilts. It is so fun to just pull them out and use them, without having to make new binding. Definitely from the scrappy side of things!



This is the latest Sylvia's bridal sampler block, and it was a woolly bugger to put together. All set in seams. A fair rendition, I think when I press it more, it will be OK to use in the quilt. I have 10 blocks done so far out of 140, so that is 7% done! Woo hoo!!!
************************************************************************************
Nursing update**********************************************************

I had a older lady yesterday, and she was just sweet as pie. Her husband warned us not to given any narcotics to her, as she just goes wild. He stated "No morphine and Lortabs". I duly listed them as allergies, and off she went. She came back around an hour later from the cath lab, and just was so sleepy, but fine. Then the you-know-what hit the fan!!!! Three hours later, I was caring for her, when she just sat up in bed and started punching away at me!! Ooww! I mean really hitting at me with serous intent to knock me out! She outweighed me by about 100 pounds, and she was just totally confused. No amount of explaining, kindness or anything would help! Mean while, she started bleeding from her cath site, badly. I could not leave, because I was holding pressure on the cath site. I screamed "help!" Coworkers rushed in, thank heaven for them! What was funny is that when I screamed, she kind of "came to" and laid back down, and was quiet as a mouse when everyone came running in. I am totally bruised up today on my arms, but she did not get to my face, thank goodness I was a good blocker. Well, turns out the cath lab gave her Versed, and she just went nuts. 7 hours later, by the end of the shift, she did not remember anything and was as sweet as pie again....sigh!! Every one teased me that "What wrong? Couldn't you take out a 80 year old lady"? Of course, just joshing...
Have a super great day!!!
Julie


30 comments:

Amelia said...

Oh Julie, what you have to endure in the workplace...makes you want to ask for hazardous pay.

Love the 4th of July wall hanging...did you make that up or did you have a kit. I really like the heart/flag part.

Vicki W said...

You've been really busy! Your BP look great! I hate Versed too but it doesn't make me that crazy.

Karen said...

The Bear Paw quilt sure made a nice quilt and especially so since it was made from stash. I have always liked the Bear Paw block.

Becky said...

Your Bear Paw quilt looks fabulous!!! This is one quilt that you will enjoy. Great job on your other projects, too!

~Bren~ said...

Love the Bear Paw and the stars will be beautiful!

My Kyle flips out when he is given BZD's...adavan, valium, clonipin, etc, which is not good when you have a seizure disorder as adavan is the first thing they want to push. That poor lady would probably feel terible knowing she bruised you up like that. Glad you are ok.

Terrie Sandelin said...

The bear paw is one of my favorite patterns. Yours is just lovely. I really like the little patriotic mini as well. And, wow, do you get combat pay at your job? You should!

Lorraine said...

I love the Bears Paw quilt.....!! Too bad about the insomnia but at least you are using the time to stitch instead of tossing and turning in bed....I went thru a phase of not sleeping well but lately I put my head on the pillow and that is it until the morning...who knows when the insomnia "bug" will hit again though! Hope the bruises go soon .....I am in awe of nurses!

Danielle said...

Busy lady! Love the bear paw quilt, I used one block in a sampler before, and someday I want to make an entire quilt like yours!

There's never a worse combination than nice old lady + narcotics = crazy! You feel so bad, and at the same time, you just wish they would stop hitting you! Enjoy the rest of your day off!

Ali Honey said...

The paws quilt is lovely - isn'yt it amazing the differenc the photo can make!

I am always delighted to hear someone else says they just snuck to the computer between chores - that's what I do and usually stay too long!

Why if you had written on the dear lady's chart not to give her something, did the lab go and give it? Don't they read? That must be so frustrating for you. Did you follow up by telling them?
What if it had been life threatening to her ( not you )?
( oops sorry if I sound a bit bossy here )

A big hug from me!

Chookyblue...... said...

I want to make a bears paw one day.......it is amazing by choosing different settings on your camera the different look of the fabrics........when I take pics of quilts I try and use the cloths line to get a good full shot and I find if I use the landscape setting it takes much nicer colours......but you just have to play around and see what looks the closest

PamKittyMorning said...

My 80 year old mom nearly broke my buff brother-in-law's arm on morphine. Holy cow I could hardly believe it. I am amazed at the super human strenght she got. And remembered nothing about it.

Unknown said...

Wow, you have been busy on the quilting front. The bear paw quilt looks fantastic! And 7% finished is great. But wow what a work night for you. So glad you are both okay.

animal lover, quilt lover said...

You have been a very busy girl. Love the bear paw quilt. I have the same problem, I will wake up 3 am and can not go back to sleep. But I am not smart I don't quilt.
Thanks for the e mail.

Finn said...

Hi Julie, how wonderful to see all the quilty goodness happening at your house *VBS* Love the bear paw. It looks like a perfect comfort quilt for when it cools down again! And hurray for scrappy binding..my fav!
The little 4th of July quilt is darling. You do such a great job with all those scraps and stash. The star are really stunning. They will make a beautiful quilt.
Gosh that nursing incident is a bit scary to hear. Awfully glad you weren't more seriously injured. Take good care of you. Big hugs, finnie

Doina said...

I like the things you have made and show on your blog!

*karendianne. said...

Wow, nothing like getting takin' out by an old lady. Bless your heart.

I love your Bear Paw. This is the first one I think that I've really liked. And from what I can see I love that biding color, too. Good job on that.

I enjoy seeing that SBS block, too. A good skill builder, isn't it? Yeah, I thought so.

Cuteamous little 4th of July number. Labor Day is just around the corner and you can take it out then, too.

Patriotic in Style 24|7 Love, *karendianne.

Teresa said...

All your quilts look great and I especially like the bright and happy stars. I just love color and lots of it in quilts. Maybe eventualy mine will fade enough so that my kids won't think I was crazy for using such a variety of brights and making quilts that don't go well in anyone's house. That is a little scary about your patient!

Angie said...

Ooooh, girl, I do LOVE your bear paw quilt!!! One of these days---hmmmm, how MANY years have I been saying that??? :/ And your 4th of July wallhanging is just adorable! How in the world do you get so much done, and work an 'outside' job, and take care of a family too????? You truly are an inspiration. :)

Stephanie D said...

That little patriotic number is adorable! Was that a bought pattern? Because I think I want to buy it!

I don't think I've seen bear paws done with so many colors before, but I'm really liking that. Which photo is the truer portrayal of the colors?

Once a post-open heart patient went ballistic on us and it took 5 of us to hold him down long enough to attempt an NG tube, since he was refusing all meds. Funny thing is, he'd been my patient pre-op and he was just the nicest man. Now in full post-pump psychosis, he threatened to hit me if I attempted the NG tube. I said it wasn't the first time I'd been hit, and I'm sure it wouldn't be the last. He declared, "You look like the type who needs to be hit!" lol

After the psychosis wore off, he was his sweet, gentle self again with absolutely no memory of the event. His wife, however, was mortified!

Patty said...

You've always got to watch those sweet little old ladies!!! I've had a couple of shiners to show for it. I must be shorter than you:) Take care and keep on caring.

Debi said...

I love the bear paw quilt, is it beautiful. Sorry to hear about the little lady brusing you up, my mother becomes combative whenever they give her pain killers also! I am glad you are okay.

Marilyn Robertson said...

I could have joined you the other night at 3:00 a.m. Ugh! I gave up trying to go back to sleep and got on my computer. You know the old email you mean to delete? That is what I did. I was sure able to sleep last night though! I love your Bear Paw. Scrappy quilts are sure at the top of my list.

I love your patient stories - but oh your pour bruised arms! Ouch!

Libby said...

I love scrappy binding - like everything else 'scrappy' it's like visiting old quilts once again *s*

On nursing: I bet you never imagined in your wildest dreams that when you became a nurse you would end up boxing with a grandma - your profession really is a very special breed of folk - thank you !

Quilter Kathy said...

You have made a lot of progress on your quilting projects in spite of your recent assault! Hope they gave you time off to recover!!

Jan said...

Glad you came through your "battle" with just a few bruises and okay!!! You need combat pay somedays!! I really like your bear paw quilt and I love your 4th of July heart!!

Nan said...

I have been sitting here reading about your adventures in quilting and in nursing! Who knew being a nurse could be so exciting/scary??
I love everything you've been sewing! Your bear paw quilt is very pretty - you did a lovely job on it! The 4th of July wallhanging is too cute! Way to sew, girl!

Julie @ Jaybird Quilts said...

i have a binding ziplock bag... i keep all my scraps of binding together too!

Stina Blomgren said...

Love your Bear Paw.. :o)

Darcie said...

Holy moly! What a day in the life of a nurse! Glad you came out of it all right. I bet she would be devistated to find out what she did under the influence of the drugs. Once again you've proven...you're a nursing angel, Jules!

Sorry though...I totally had to giggle out loud at your statement of being a good blocker! I will remember that! lol

Nancy said...

My goodness, you do some serious quilting and your work is wonderful. I like the blue sashing on your Bear Paw.

Hexies, rainbow quilts and plaids!

Good morning to all!!!  Above is a hexagon, for English paper piecing.  My kitten Lucky has discovered them, and decided that they are great...