Sunday, February 16, 2020

Sunday! Dear Jane update!








Good Morning!  Or afternoon...whichever it is.  I am OFF work today, so I don't have to care, LOL!  Above are the latest blocks from my friend, Ann!  She is also working on her Dear Jane quilt.  Aren't they pretty?  I love them!  

I have my block cut out, but not stitched yet.

Here is what Ann wrote to me:  




"Here are the most recent blocks for my resumed Dear Jane Journey .  As you may recall, I'm making them from the bottom row up.  These are from Row L.  The red one was challenging to make.  I originally tried to paper piece it, but the individual pieces (1/4" squares) were so fussy that on my next try I decided to draw pencil lines for stitching each piece - which went better. Your comment in  a previous post indicating that Jane must have pieced hers by hand is no doubt true.  I read that she was an invalid at the time she was making her quilt, so hand piecing may have been easier for her.  I wonder if she also used a pencil to mark her lines.  Given her geometric skills, she may have had that perfect eye, the same way that a few people are gifted with perfect pitch in singing.   Sometimes I wish I had elected to hand piece mine;  hand piecing is very pleasant, and this is NOT a race, right?  Don't want to switch horses (or methods) mid-stream, so will continue with my trusty old Bernina.  Annie"

I have very much enjoyed getting to know Annie, via this blog.
Attachments area
 I am linking to Kathy, for slow stitching Sunday.  I finished the hand stitching on the binding, for this quilt.  I think the blocks are from the first Blockhead quilt along.  I did not make them all, and added some of my own.


Please see Kathy's post here, and link up to share your slow stitching!



https://kathysquilts.blogspot.com/2020/02/slow-sunday-stitching_16.html

 I used purple for the back.  It is kind of a heavy, canvas feeling material.  It gives the quilt weight for sure!
 This is the perfect size for a hospital bed, so that is where this quilt will go.  We have lots of cancer patients come in for lung surgeries, and they just cannot seem to keep warm.
 This is my second set of blocks to swap with my local group.  I accidentally made a lot more centers than I needed, so...they are added to the block pile.  I am thinking about those blocks in my bin, gifted treasures and some of my own, to make quilts.  Great fun!
 I am still working on the latest Quiltville mystery...here are some more of these little blocks.
And last but not least!  I made a banana bread today, and it was not rising, so....I had forgotten the baking powder!  So about twenty minutes into baking, I remembered...so I took it out of the oven, mixed in the baking powder, said a short little prayer and popped it back into the oven.  It turned out OK, but the baking dish is a bit messy, LOL!!!




ON we go!!



Julie

12 comments:

Julierose said...

Good deal on that banana bread--nice save;)))
Your purple piece is really pretty...and your friend's DJ blocks are really lovely--they look so hard;0000...
hugs, Julierose

Jill said...

I give you credit for making a Dear Jane. Use whatever method you enjoy. I like the purple, white and green blockhead.

Randy D. said...

Dear Jane??? YIKES!!
Very ambitious!
And what a great SAVE on the banana bread One of my favorites!
In fact, I have a couple of ripe bananas...maybe I'll make a loaf... thanks for the idea!
xxx

Sherrill said...

I remember working on my DJ quilt. I did hand piece so many of those little buggers!! Your purple quilt size reminds me of the HOB quilts I used to make..12" blocks set 3X5, just big enough for a Civil War cot!! Glad you had the day off!

---"Love" said...

Your purple and green quilt turned out really lovely. The blue and white blocks below it are very pretty too. Nice job! ---"Love"

Barb said...

I enjoyed reading your friends message about the Dear Jane blocks, the second one did look hard. Your purple quilt is adorable...love it!

Janet O. said...

Thanks for sharing Annie's thoughts on her experiences with her Jane blocks. She is an amazing woman.
That purple/green quilt will certainly be a day brightener for a cancer patient. So good of you to gift so many of your quilts that way.
I would never have thought to mix in the baking powder at that point. I would have just made a door stop out of it. :)
Glad it turned out okay--the dish can be cleaned, it was the save that was important.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I've made chocolate chunk cheesecake and forgot the chocolate, and had to do the same thing. Oh well.

QuiltGranma said...

I remember Mother doing some thing like that with a batch of cookies. When they came out of the oven the second time, she really liked them: crumbly/crunchy... her response was cruddy cookies, but they were yummy!

Lori said...

So fun to see your group Jane Stickle progress! Keen observations about Jane. You are too sweet and generous with your quilts. I know someone will love that quilt.
Too funny about the banana bread!!

Karen said...

I too have forgotten an ingredient when baking only to attempt adding it after the baking started. Once I forgot the buttermilk but did not remember until the cake was done. I wondered why the texture was more like brownies but it tasted good.

I am not sure if you meant that Annie has a blog. If so, what is it?

Unknown said...

In this fashion my associate Wesley Virgin's adventure launches with this SHOCKING and controversial video.

You see, Wesley was in the army-and soon after leaving-he revealed hidden, "MIND CONTROL" secrets that the government and others used to get everything they want.

As it turns out, these are the exact same tactics tons of celebrities (especially those who "come out of nowhere") and top business people used to become rich and famous.

You probably know how you only use 10% of your brain.

That's mostly because the majority of your brain's power is UNCONSCIOUS.

Perhaps that expression has even taken place IN YOUR own mind... as it did in my good friend Wesley Virgin's mind seven years ago, while driving an unlicensed, beat-up bucket of a car without a driver's license and with $3 in his bank account.

"I'm so frustrated with living check to check! Why can't I turn myself successful?"

You've taken part in those conversations, ain't it right?

Your own success story is going to be written. All you have to do is in YOURSELF.

Watch Wesley Virgin's Video Now!

Comments!

A large tree fell over with a mighty crash, half a block from our home.  We are all grateful that it fell toward the street!  If you can zoo...