Monday, September 30, 2019

Mary Brown/Mrs. Lincoln's Sampler quilt beginnings!

 Good morning to everyone!!  I have started another quilt along...but with a twist.  Almost all of the group is doing the "Mary Brown" quilt...a lovely complex applique beauty!!!  I still wanted to quilt along with this inspiring group,  but felt like I should use a pattern I already had, so I would not have to purchase a fairly costly pattern,  and one that was not quite so difficult.  So!!  I started this quilt!!!  Mrs. Lincoln's Sampler Quilt! Here are my first two blocks.  A mixture of applique and piecing.  I enlarged the blocks from 5 inches to 10 inches, so I would have a larger, bed sized quilt when I was done.  
Here is the pattern; it is by Lori Smith.  Well written and great diagrams are included.




Please see the following bloggers to see their progress on "Mary Brown!"





Karen -   Log Cabin Quilter
Cathy - Big Lake Quilter
Julie -    
Jan -  No blog
Robin -  I Like to Create Blog 











Julie

13 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

good idea...if we don't use our patterns and stash, then who will? very nice..i like lori smith's patterns....

Karen said...

You will end up with a very usable size quilt by enlarging the blocks. When I made mine, I enlarged to 7 1/2 inch blocks....if I remember correctly. Your sashing fabric is delightful!

Gretchen Weaver said...

I love Lori Smith patterns. What a great idea to enlarge the patterns to make the quilt larger. Happy Stitching!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I love Grace's comment: "if we don't use our patterns and stash, when who will?" Who indeed!! Well done, Julie; bravo! I love the idea of enlarging the blocks to make the quilt more usable too. It's going to be very pretty.

Loris said...

Lovely start! This will be fun to see all the work all these lovely quilts. Someday...I will get started on all the applique dreams in my head ;-)

cspoonquilt said...

It looks like you started in the upper left? Are you going to sew them in a left to right order?! I think the larger size is a great idea, It will make a wonderful bed quilt!!! cheers!

Chantal said...

That's a lovely quilt. Love your first two blocks. Are you staying to the same color as the original? I had to go and check out Mary Browns quilt and WOW! Yep, that's a complex quilt with a hefty price tag. Enjoy your new project. ;^)

Tired Teacher said...

Kudos for adapting and making the quilt and QAL yours! It's fun to shake things up. Love the fabric you're using for sashing.

Kyle said...

I'm a fan of Lori Smith's patterns as well. Great idea to simply enlarge the pattern and make it fit what you wan to do.

Janet O. said...

You are such a smart lady to make what you have work for you, while still enjoying the camaraderie of "sewing along."
It is going to be another beauty, Julie!

Robin said...

I'm so glad you figured out a way to sew along with us all. I had already bought the pattern when I found out that there was going to be a SAL. I thought, "This is a way to be motivated to sew this quilt together." Your blocks look great and it was smart of you to enlarge them. Look forward to following along as you put this together.

Jennie in GA said...

Great idea, Julie. Glad you are joining in. I love Lori’s patterns. You have a good start.

Lori said...

Darling start! Lori Smith does a good job on her patterns.

Comments!

A large tree fell over with a mighty crash, half a block from our home.  We are all grateful that it fell toward the street!  If you can zoo...