Sunday, May 20, 2018

Sister's Choice

 I made this quilt, all from the scrap bin, some years ago.  It is a favorite of mine, and I love the blocks with high contrast the best.    You can find a free pattern for it below.  I became acquainted with the quilt pattern on Bonnie Hunter's Website, and immediate loved it for the use of scraps and maybe because of the name, too!!

http://quiltville.blogspot.com/p/free-patterns.html

Please take a look at all her free scrap quilt patterns!   Go down a little ways down on her page to find the sister's choice pattern.   This is one of my favorite pattern places!

So...I was just playing around, and what if...I made the nine patch from 2 inch strips, and the muslin background from 2.5 inch strips!!  Yahoo!  Another variation is born!!  And I just love plaids, as you know, and can use my strings and scraps for this quilt.


I am going to try to make 56 of these babies, and sash them with pieced sashing.  I love that part, and by the way? This is not on my to-do list....and that makes it even more fun!!






Hope each of you is having an amazing day!


Julie

14 comments:

Ivani said...

Gaorgeous quilt Julie. And I like your new variaton for 2" squares. I will love to see this quilt grows.

Teresa said...

I like this too....will look forward to seeing the quilt come alive

Libby in TN said...

The advantage is you won't have to match star points! The stars float on the background.
That's how I made one a couple of years ago and it is one of my very favorite quilts.

AnnieO said...

That is a great block—I like it set block to block there. I like your pieced border too! Have fun with the plaids :)

Joyce Carter said...

This is one of my favorite blocks also and I love the block with the plaids.

Tired Teacher said...

It's a beauty! I use Bonnie's free patterns, and love that I can use a lot of my scraps.

Kyle said...

Fantastic blocks. I love the part that it wasn't on your list! That makes it even more fun!

---"Love" said...

Very good idea! You will love not having star points to match! ---"Love"

Karen said...

I like the Sister's Choice block design. It can be very scrappy and use up lots of left overs.

Marly said...

Lovely variation on the original block. Have fun with these blocks.

Rose Marie said...

Clever about using the 2.5 inch strips! It created a different look and use up scraps .... even better!

barbara woods said...

love that quilt!

Chantal said...

I too love your Sister's Choice quilt. But if the second one is made with plaid it will definitively win my heart and be my favorite. Have fun with the new project. ;^)

jude's page said...

Especially loving your border! Well done.

Hexies, rainbow quilts and plaids!

Good morning to all!!!  Above is a hexagon, for English paper piecing.  My kitten Lucky has discovered them, and decided that they are great...