Saturday, June 24, 2017

Some hand work...long overdue!

 I have been procrastinating finishing this Bonnie Hunter Mystery quilt for a long time.  It just needed binding!  But it was black binding, and you see, I cannot see on black very well to stitch anymore!!
 But, tada!  It is done! It is some number of years old, but is done, and ready for gifting, or keeping.  Not sure...I am quite fond of it.
 I have been working on the circular reasoning quilt, too.  These are all hand applique.  The premise was to choose a fabric to suit your mood, each day, for a year.  I just went through my color bins and chose fabrics I loved.  But, I found some days, when I felt really good, like I hit the mark with my work or at home...I made a bulls eye, with a circle within a circle.  Other days, I felt fragmented, so I made circles of two colors or more.  It is great fun, and I am moving toward an end of the project.  But, more neutral circles were created, cutting the back out from behind the colored circles, so stay tuned!  I have a feeling that this project may not end any time soon. Thank you, Audrey, for your lovely circle project idea. See Audrey's blog here!

http://quiltyfolk.blogspot.com/



 This is all hand quilted and bound. Super fun, and all those tiny geese are hand quilted in the middle of each one...otherwise, they would not stay flat.  Fussy things!!
 These little decorations were from last year at Christmas...I made a ton, but never finished them.  DONE!!  Whoop!!!
And after all this hand work, I went off to a bitty quilt show.  There was a tiny lady selling fat quarters for a dollar each.  She also gave me the polka dot piece on the right.  Super fun!




Have a great day, each of you!!


Julie

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Julie boy well done you are on a roll,gorgeous work my friend xx

---"Love" said...

Your mystery quilt is beautiful! I hate stitching on black too! Love your stars and geese, but I think I'll pass on circles like those; I do like the idea behind it though. ---"Love"

Janet O. said...

I love Orca Bay! I made a Twin bed size (without the fancy pieced border), but still haven't quilted it. Yours is beautiful--can you really bear to give it away? : )
I totally understand about stitching on black--even a really dark grey or navy challenges me anymore, and I love the dark colors (me and Darth Vadar).
Your approach to the circular reasoning quilt intrigues me. The bulls-eye and fractured blocks are a stroke of genius.
Such a sweet little hand quilted finish. How in the world do you ever find time to do it all?!?

Kyle said...

What a gorgeous finish. Your quilt is so dramatic and the piecing intricate. I hope you can enjoy it now that the binding is finished. Then your hand quilted piece is delightful. Even small hand quilted small quilts take so much time, but so lovely when done. I loved hearing how your choose your daily circles. Now I am intrigued about what you're going to do with the neutral circles from the backgrounds. Your energy keeps me motivated!

Chantal said...

Congratulations on finishing this gorgeous Orca Bay. So beautiful!! With all the work that went into the making of this one, I hope you keep it. Anywho! That's just me. Congratulations on finishing all these little projects. You must feel so proud on finishing so many UFOs. Love your mini quilt. Happy to see you were able to tie down all the geese before they flew away, lol. It is just so charming! Love it. Great finds at the quilt show. You accomplished a lot of work and deserved a little reward. Nothing better than some fabrics, I say. Enjoy! ;^)

cityquilter grace said...

kudos to your for finishing...i donated my top eons ago...fun mystery but too many seams to hand quilt...great finishes!

Karen said...

I too am working on a binding that has been put off for a very, very long time. A large quilt.

Ramblings from Randi the Wild Rose Quilter said...

I love your mystery quilt! Don't think I could give that one away. 😃

AnnieO said...

Congrats on all the finished items! Black on black is so difficult, especially at night! Love your Orca Bay. I've never made blocks according to mood so your circles are intriguing. Wonderful to have so many fabrics under your needle. ❤️

Loris said...

Beautiful! I love Orca Bay. Bonnie's mysteries are kind of an acquired taste but this is one of my favorites and yours is wonderful. I finally sewed up a mystery with a friend. If I can get around to pictures and writing a post I'll show pics of the En Provence we made. It was planned for charity so it will be headed out somewhere but it was really a lot of fun to make.

Sherrill said...

I still have Easy Street laying around only needing two borders and then she'd be ready for quilting. But it's still laying there :-( Good grief. And I was making great progress on my circles then stopped--got 3 more done last night and that makes 109. Going to do 120 (since my backgrounds are bigger at 6.5") and then it'll be ready to finish up for donation.

jude's page said...

Love the border on your Bonnie Hunter quilt, and well done with all the hand work, it's not my favourite thing to do, as I love the machine work best.

Rose Marie said...

Wow .... love all your finishes ..... you are on a roll. Get'erdone!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Yay for finishing the binding!!!! It is beautiful!

Vic in NH said...

The Orca Bay is a prize! You did a beautiful job on it!

Lori said...

Look at you go girl!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I like your Bonnie Hunter. I also have a hard time seeing black, but, get a really good light, and it helps. You've been a busy bee!

Tired Teacher said...

Congratulations on finishing another beautiful quilt. I rarely work with dark fabric or yarn anymore - more and more, my eyes dictate the colors I use.

Barb said...

It feels so good to get a project done, looks fantastic...enjoyed your post.

Hexies, rainbow quilts and plaids!

Good morning to all!!!  Above is a hexagon, for English paper piecing.  My kitten Lucky has discovered them, and decided that they are great...