Monday, August 23, 2010

Plaid madness...part one million, 500 hundred and ninety four

Hi everyone! I really love plaids, ladies...really love them. Lots of people don't because of the directional-ness of them and so forth... Well, you might have known...I saw this Pineapple blossom quilt block on a blog, in plaids...and decided that it was a must do for sure. I had lots of leftover plaids strips from my plaid quilt in my header, and decided to make a lap quilt out of the leftovers. Actually, I could make another plaid string quilt too and still have plenty...and probably will make it and give it to dear son. He seemed to like that one...anyway, isn't this block cool? And bonus triangles for the border too! Thanks to Bonnie Hunter of Quiltville, who supplied free patterns to everyone...I love this pattern of hers. I plan to make 20 blocks, and they are all cut out.
You can see I work on the kitchen counter a lot...(dream) some day a sewing room! Anyway, these pieces of plaids were sent to me by my friend Joyce in Arizona. Do you see the little attached prints? This was a leftover part of a project that she sent me, and plus she sent a ton of plaid strips too. I immediately put them in "too precious to use and just admire" pile...until today. I cut the plaid pieces into 2 inch strips for the pineapple blocks, and the little attached pieces became 1.5 inch squares, for the 1.5 inch square bin. Neat plaids she sent huh? Don't you have a bin or box of plaids that are just crying out to be used?? This is your chance, LOL!!
2 inch strips....cut, cut, cut! fun!!
And now.....a word to Dear Jane!


Hi Janie....what's up girl? How in the world did you come up with this block? I love it! My favorite color and all, and it reminds me of the sun with rays of light...love it! I wonder if in the 1800's it was as hot as it is today, now...it is hot, Jane! How did you stay cool at all??


And now you know you have to hear about the nine patches...TADA!!

Here are my finished nine patches...the three inchers....I love them and hope all the swappers do too!!!


I have some doozies of stories about the weekend at the hospital, but will refrain...but wow, some people are just plain nutzola!!



Have a great day,

Julie

19 comments:

quiltingnana said...

great work with the plaids...I have never had the courage to tackle them!

Sharon said...

I just quilted a Pineapple Blossom quilt and posted pics on my blog, I've made a brown/cream one, I have a blue/crm one ready to quilt, and I'm sewing a red/crm one! Can you tell I like this block? And I taught a class using this pattern!
Oh, I so love your nursing stories, Just leave out the names to protect the crazy's! haha

Lori said...

Sweet! I love plaids and homespuns. I have two quilts on my fall radar and one is mostly homespuns- a real casual quilt.

Quilter Kathy said...

You tempt me with that plaid pineapple!
Lovely! Don't you just love playing in the scraps!?!

Wonky Girl said...

A plaid pineapple blossom quilt, who'd a thunk of that? Great idea. Bonnie's PAB block is my fav. I have two started, a spring colors and a Christmas. For both I used 2.5" strips cuz i had lots of swapped noodles.
Now to hop over and see the one Sharon just quilted.

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

I do love plaids~ and I 'found' a little stash I had been saving! How did you know?! LOL on nutzola's~ isn't it funny that we never forget the unusual patients? Have a great week! I love your little 9 patches too!~ I would've joined y'all if I were in one spot! :-)

Terry said...

Love your plaid block! I saw that pattern too and hope to make a scrappy version someday. My "sewing room" is in a corner of the living room, but it's still better than working on the kitchen table, which is what I did for years and years! :0)

Karen said...

I'm a plaid lover too!

A Garden of Threads said...

Nice block made with the plaid, has been ages since I use a plaid. The dear Jane block with great, maybe she should add a few more.

Pat said...

I have always loved plaids but not worked with them in quilts yet...someday I will, though. Can't wait to hear about the nutzola's at the hospital. I do agree...there are LOTS of them around!!! LOL Your Dear Jane block is great!!!

Mary Lou Casada said...

Julie, another great project! I love plaids, but I'm always hesitant to cut 'em! I need to bite the bullett and quiltville me a pineapple! :-D I got my Dear Jane center done!!!! Had a bit of trouble with my triangles, though. Check it out on my blog!
Blessings!
Mary Lou

Leeanne said...

I LOVE plaids too!! I will pop over to Bonnies to have look at that pattern...I have been collecting plaid shirts from the Op shops and saving them for...well not sure but they are cut into strips using Bonnies scrap methods.

Sharon said...

Oh my...I see another project in my future! What a great block for my bin of plaids!!! I still want to make your beautiful string quilt in your header...one more on my bucket list!

Cindy said...

I love seeing your use of plaids! I was given a stack of plaids I want to use but some of the fabric seems really flimsy and I mean really really thin. I wonder...do I line them with a thin fusible interfacing or do I go ahead and use them as is...would like some advice about that.

House of Mouse said...

When I finish my nine patches, I am going to try the Pineapple Blossom quilt block...I love it and the plaids are wonderful!



Anett

Anonymous said...

Just love all my scrap plaid quilts, just put all the pieces in a bag - reach in - pull out and sew together. The only ones I throw back in are of the same print or color. The mixed up the better. I'm seeing a lot of discounted plaid fabric in stores lately - wonder why? Will be anxious to see your Pineapple Blossom when it's done. Robert Kent, in northern Iowa.

bingo~bonnie said...

Oough - la-LA-la-lovely! Thanks for mentioning to hop on over to your blog when you commented on mine. Now yet another to cut plaid strips for! I'm already saving the ends that are odd sizes when I'm cutting stirps... and putting them into a shoebox for a one day plaid string quilt around black center squares like I saw recently on Mary Johnson's blog... did you see it?

Love from Orange, Texas
~bonnie

and yes - it IS HOT!

AnnieO said...

I love plaids too but don't buy them very often. Your Pineapple Blossom will be great--I made one in red and white with black sashing for my MIL's 90th birthday a couple years back. I made the 12 inch block and it sure worked up quickly. Definitely would make it again! Loving all the 9 patches--still working on mine. Such fun!

Elaine Adair said...

I am slobbering over your plaid PBlossom! How lovely they all look together. When I made mine, I thought about using plaids but got side-tracked. My, my, I wih I had followed that thought - your's is really delicious!!! Keep it up. I think the light muslin 'controls' the plaid directionality - very nice!

Hexies, rainbow quilts and plaids!

Good morning to all!!!  Above is a hexagon, for English paper piecing.  My kitten Lucky has discovered them, and decided that they are great...