Monday, April 15, 2024

A finish


Hi everyone!  I have been kind of obsessed about finishing this jacket.  I used a lot of scraps!!!  Above you can see the large, angled patch pocket. I used an old sweatshirt to make the garment longer, and some of the leftovers to make the pockets.   I bound the jacket much like a quilt, in one fabric.  


Here is the finished article.  It is pretty big on me.  I used a large men's sweatshirt to sew all the pieces to. Walmart has these on sale...end of the season.   I did have to cut off the sleeves a couple of inches, and the rest will shrink in the wash.  I machine quilted it on my Bernina.  I did cut off the neck stretchy material, and also the cuffs and bottom of the sweatshirt.  I cut the sleeves open to sew the patchwork to it, and then quilted them and sewed them back together.  


This is the binding material.  


Whew!!  OK, life can resume now....



Julie





 

12 comments:

julieQ said...

Life is like a box of chocolates...you never know what you are going to get!!!

Anonymous said...

I think these are amazing I'm definitely going to get me one! Just have to sneak an old top off my son sometime he's not looking. Elaine in UK xx

cityquilter grace said...

came out great....a unique fashion addition!

Rose Marie said...

So nice and it turned out great!

Julierose said...

What a lovely finish--i really like how it came out, JulieK;)))
Great job...Funny how we get so intense upon making certain things...something compels us to do them!!:)))
Enjoy wearing your creation...hugs, Julierose

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Wow!!! That is beautiful!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for giving us some instructions on how you made your jacket. I was wondering how you added length to your jacket. Your jacket turned out beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

julieQ said...

testing!

julieQ said...

Hello!!!

Barb said...

Well done! It turned out great.

Louise SS said...

I love it! A great way to use scraps!

ButterZ said...

That’s a great way to make a jacket. Looks fantastic

Comments!

A large tree fell over with a mighty crash, half a block from our home.  We are all grateful that it fell toward the street!  If you can zoo...