Sunday, September 18, 2016

A wee little tutorial!


A few people wanted to know how I make my Plaid and Plain flying geese, so I am writing this tutorial for you!  Please be kind...I am not an expert at tutorial writing, LOL!  Above is a 3 1/2 inch strip from my plaid scraps, and a plain 2 inch strip.  These are not chosen for their beauty (LOL!), but for contrast, so you can see better.

First, cut the 3 1/2 inch strip into two triangle pieces, with your easy angle ruler.  
ZIP! There goes the second one!!
Then, from a neutral 3 1/2 inch strip  (I used muslin for mine, 'cause that is what I have most of), cut two triangles using the same method.

Then, cut (2) two inch squares.

Then off to the sewing machine!  Each 3x6 inch block takes five seams.  First, sew the plaid and neutral triangles together, as above.  

Then, layer the plain (blue in this case) square on the pieces and sew in a connector corner fashion.

Then, trim the excess.  You can keep these extra triangles if you want, but they are pretty tiny...so I am not saving mine this time.

Then, press one to the dark side, and one to the light side.  This makes it easy for the seams to nest!!

Turn them this way, 

Then sew them together!  Press...trims your threads (like I obviously did NOT DO)...and Yahoo!!  You have one done already!!  


There are many ways to make any quilt block, but this is the one I used, this time...probably be different next time, LOL!!  I hope this helps those quilters who asked how I did mine.




A few more 2 inch finished bow ties, above



A few more basket blocks, four inches finished
Maybe I went on a little shopping spree at a local quilt show...everything on sale and it was great fun!!

A pretty little fabric sampler for $4.00...who could resist!!

This is a basket that one of the members made to sell, so I bought one for the cause.  It was very pretty!!



And that is all, folks!  I hope you are having a marvelous day!!!


Julie

17 comments:

Lynn Dykstra said...

Ah, Julie, I was trying to figure out how you were doing these! Love them.

Tired Teacher said...

Your tutorial is great, and I will likely be making some of these blocks, soon.

It's difficult to resist a good sale, especially on quilty items. Enjoy!

Missy Shay said...

I need to pull my bowties back out and make some more blocks.

KaHolly said...

Your tutorial is perfect! Thanks for taking the time to put it together. What a great sale! XO

Libby in TN said...

Thanks for the tute! Not sure I would have thought of doing it that way -- though I have no idea how I would have done it, either.

Little Penpen said...

Sweet!! I like that way of making the flying geese. I dream of making a scrap bow tie quilt for my bed.

gayle said...

Lovely tutorial! (And I had guessed right how you were making them - it seems like the most logical way to me!)
I love your little baskets, too!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Nice tutorial. I got to attend a quilt show this past weekend, too. I picked up pillowcases (who can resist at $6 each) and a yard of fabric for a project.

Chantal said...

Thanks Julie for clarifying the how-to cause my brain just couldn't decide which method would be best. (I am funny that way sometimes.) You did an excellent job at explaining and showing the method in your tutorial. Congrats! You were pretty busy with other blocks too. Lovely. Cute little basket you purchased. Enjoy! ;^)

Janet O. said...

Very clever method. I am glad you shared it.
Always so many great scrap projects happening at your place.
Everyone need a little infusion of new fabrics now and then--even scrap quilters! : )

Lilac Joan said...

There is nothing wrong with your tutorial writing!. I must try this, so easy (at least you make it look that way!).

Leeanne said...

Thanks for sharing your method. Lovely treasures that found their way home with you too.

moosecraft said...

Great tutorial! Thank you!

Vic in NH said...

Thank you for the tutorial and for letting us see your gorgeous loot from the show! Those pinks are so pretty!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Yay!! Thank you for the tute!!

Lori said...

Great tutorial! So much quilty goodness in this post. Love the fabric sampler!!

Dr Purva Pius said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
2. Telephone Numbers:……….
3. Address and Location:…….
4. Amount in request………..
5. Repayment Period:………..
6. Purpose Of Loan………….
7. country…………………
8. phone…………………..
9. occupation………………
10.age/sex…………………
11.Monthly Income…………..
12.Email……………..

Regards.
Managements
Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com

Hexies, rainbow quilts and plaids!

Good morning to all!!!  Above is a hexagon, for English paper piecing.  My kitten Lucky has discovered them, and decided that they are great...