Saturday, April 30, 2016

"The Cheerful Quilt!"

 I have been working on these applique borders, for the Cheerful quilt!!
 This quilt began as a quilt-as-you-go quilt that I had hatched in my mind, and ended up stuffed in the closet in a wad of disgust.  Recently, however!  This quilt begged to come out and be something else!!  So I took all the hand quilting out (I know, perish the thought, right?), and put the blocks all together.  This is an old block pattern, of which I do not know the name, but I know you will!  And then??
 The quilt just begged for an applique borders!!  All right, ALL RIGHT!!  You may have applique borders!! (just for you, silly cheerful quilt!)
 And it just kind of snowballed from there.
So here is where I am, so far.  I was fortunate enough to go to Hawaii several years ago, and loved the Plumeria flowers...mostly pink with yellow centers.  All of the Plumeria flowers had five petals, however...so these are Plumeria flowers in multiple colors!!


So I am having fun with it, anyway!!!



And I hope you are having a fun day too!!!


Julie

22 comments:

Nana said...

And it is surely a happy quilt. I love it!

paulette said...

I call it GORGEOUS!!! I'm with Nana...LOVE IT!

Sue said...

Love love love it. It's so bright and cheerful. Love the borders. Great job. Great finish.

Tired Teacher said...

Not only is the quilt cheerful it is also excited to be nearly completed. The appliqué is perfect for the border.

Janet O. said...

Perfect name for this quilt, Julie. I think it will bring a smile to all who see it. Very cheerful, indeed. Your makeover is a grand success and the pretty border is the perfect finish!

AnnieO said...

Very pretty closet save!

Leeanne said...

Cheerful happy dance down here in New Zealand! Sure is pretty!

Louise SS said...

Perfect name for a very happy and pretty quilt! I am glad it got to come out of the closet!

Vicki W said...

It's so pretty and the fun really shows through.

Carol C. said...

Beautiful as well as Happy!! I love it!

Nancy said...

Just beautiful. It’s amazing what a difference a little applique can make in a quilt.

Anonymous said...

Can't think of a better word than "cheerful" to describe this quilt.

Cindy in NC

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I'm loving it! Is it Broken dishes???

Karen said...

A cheerful quilt for sure. Maybe "Cheerfully Spring" as it uses so many spring like colors. Nice.

Kyle said...

Your cheerful quilt turned exuberant with that appliqued border. I can't believe you have it basted already! I think the quilt as you go method can be really challenging and not very successful. Even though you had to take the quilting out, it will be so worth it in the end.

Rebecca in AK said...

I am so glad you brought this quilt out of the closet to play! Beautiful! Cheerful is a perfect name.

Kristy said...

I love this quilt! What gorgeous colors and your applique border is just right! So glad you listened! :-) K- lkw2x6-apq@yahoo.com

Flickenstichlerin said...

Dear Julie,
it looks so perfect, the applique border is a wonderful choice.
Greetings,
Sylvia

Karen in Breezy Point said...

What a beautiful, happy quilt--love it! Your applique flowers are the perfect touch!

Me and My Stitches said...

I'm glad you drug it out of the closet! It is really pretty and the border is the perfect ending!

Karen said...

This is so cute! I'm a sucker for a pieced quilt and an appliqué border.

Lori said...

Very nice! The applique border is so pretty!

Hexies, rainbow quilts and plaids!

Good morning to all!!!  Above is a hexagon, for English paper piecing.  My kitten Lucky has discovered them, and decided that they are great...