Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Making a new cloth

This quilt greets you from Germany!!  Angelika made this quilt, all out of plaids. Isn't it wonderful?  And best of all, her HUSBAND quilted it for her!!   I love it!  Thank you, Angelika, for sharing this quilt with me, you made my day!

Here is a close up of the quilting and pretty plaid fabrics.  All this plaid makes me want to sew plaids, plaids, plaids!!

So....I made string strips out of plaids...this was the most fun piecing I have had for such a long time!  I can heartily recommend it for just fun piecing, without having to think much, LOL!  Sometimes we can all use a break like that, right?
Then I added the black strips on each side of the pieced rectangle.
Then trimmed the corners...
And added muslin triangles to finish the block.  Pieces and parts of plaids...all I have left of the littlies went into these blocks.


When I was little, I lived in Colorado, and was born there in the mountains.  One trip I remember very well was a trip to Durango, Colorado, to ride the Narrow Gauge Railroad through the mountains to Silverton. It was the old train back then, before the new and improved version. Oh what a treat it was to me, to see those breathtaking mountains of home.  Those mountains never fail to awe me, and seem to envelope me in a big hug when I get to go home. These blocks remind me of the old railroad tracks...so the name of this quilt is Narrow Gauge through the Rockies.


It is now short work of making the rest of the blocks, and putting it all together with a piano key scrappy plaid border.  I have truly loved making this quilt!!



Julie

19 comments:

Kyle said...

What a sweet story and a wonderful beginning to a delightful quilt. You are so talented to use all those littles to create beautiful cloth.

Loris said...

How fun to see these plaids all the way from Germany!
I was happy to get an email this morning from Martingale...I downloaded Evelyn Sloppy's Strips and Strings.
Love your new start. I agree a pieceful morning is always fun.

WoolenSails said...

That is a wonderful quilt and love the one you are making.

Debbie

Nancy said...

Narrow Gauge is a perfect name for the blocks. You are so clever to use your strings and the black strips together like that. It will be an attractive quilt.

Libby said...

We love visiting Durango. Your quilt has the perfect name!

Quilter Kathy said...

I know how much fun this kind of piecing can be... just so relaxing and rewarding!

Missy Shay said...

I love it! I am making my string quilt soon, what size pieces do I need for the border, so I can keep those separate?

Kathleen said...

I love it, too! Gorgeous...

Leeanne said...

Oh Julie......I HAVE TO MAKE this quilt, every time I come to visit your blog I fall in love with it.

Janet O. said...

Angelika's quilt is wonderful! And how cool that her DH quilted it!
Oh, Julie--your new quilt speaks volumes to me! We share a love of the Rockies and I have always lived within whistle distance of the railroad tracks. Such a striking design! Did you create it yourself?

Bonnie said...

Both quilts are wonderful!

Ruth said...

I bought that book based on your quilt. One of these days, but first I have to start collecting plaids.

Love the new idea very much, too.

Helen in the UK said...

Great job Angelika :)

joe tulips said...

I love plaids. I love scrappy.
So of course, I love these blocks and the quilt it will become.

Lori said...

That is going to be a dynamite quilt! And a terrific name for it as well.

Julie Kaye from KS said...

What a great block. That will make a terrific quilt. And the name suits it well.

Angelika said...

Dear Julie, thank you so much for your kind words !
Tank you, ladies, for your nice comments :)))

Greetings from Germany, Angelika
http://www.flickr.com/people/quiltmakergeli/

Lois Arnold said...

Ooh, I'm really liking your news plaid quilt start! Makes me want to make one!

Stina Blomgren said...

Gorgeous ....maybe I will have to dig out some plaids...:0))
kviltstina at gmail dot com

Puffins and purples!!

I was tempted by Puffins...a squirrelly breed!!  LOL!  This fabric was shared with me, and I have been loved these bright, candy corn colors...