Sunday, March 5, 2023

Number next!

Well, it all started with a jelly roll.  They are so pretty, but I never know what to do with them, honestly. The jelly roll I used is all polka dots!   Above is a perfect jelly roll pattern.  It is called Daybreak, by Georgette Dell'Orco; a Cozy Quilt design.  I am making a patient quilt, and it is going quickly.  Half of the blocks are pictured; half are still in the works!  I must say the 2.5-inch strips feel big after the mystery quilt with tiny pieces.  My friend Annie and I are enjoying making this quilt together.  






 I made a new bag for work...so that was fun.  The most time-consuming thing about it was making the quilted fabric.  I think the pattern would work well with pre-quilted fabric, too.  


Here is the free pattern...many thanks to the designer, Lynn!




*****************Nurse's notes*************************

I floated to oncology the other day.  I had six patients under my care.  All medical patients, no cancer...overflowing medical patients onto the cancer floor.  One pancreatitis, one pneumonia, one failure to thrive, one drug overdose, one septic urinary tract infection, and one deep vein thrombosis.  People became diagnoses, as I just noticed how I spoke about my patients. But I take time to know them, too, as much as I can...are they married, children, what did they do for a living... I must say, all my time on medical floor as a new nurse really has helped me be a generalist and take care of anything that comes through the door.  I ran all day long...19000 steps.  I really enjoyed it.  I charted standing up, ate in five minutes in the hallway, and away I went. Nurses everywhere will relate to days like this!



**********************1940's**********************************

I am reading about Hitler, and his rise to power, which actually started in the 1930's.  Very interesting how one man could control a population, and lay waste to another.  What a horrible war, involving so many, many countries, and the whole world was involved economically.  I am reading such books as Sophie's Choice, and Sarah's Key.  Alos, I am reading about the woman going to the workforce (think Rosie the riveter), and how woman stepped up to make a living for themselves as their men were off to war, and the grandparents stepping up to care for children.  Such interesting reading about this "Greatest Generation!"  Tell me if you were alive during this time and have remembrances, please???





Hope you have a great day, each of you!



13 comments:

Julierose said...

Love your polka dotted quilt blocks--I never know what to do with jelly rolls either and wonder why I bought them really!! I did try one jelly roll race but didn't like it so I donated it; 2.5" is too wide for my ojos quilts, so I may cut some of them in half and use them up that way.
I am still fighting the remnants of covid here and just so so tired, but thankfully, Tom is much better [with a lingering cough though]...what a thoroughly nasty virus this is!! And here we are all vaxed and boosted--I cannot imagine how it would be without those!!
Glad you are enjoying your new rotation...hugs, Julierose

Chantal said...

Lovely blocks. I like the colour combo. -1940- I read "The Nazi Officer's Wife": how one Jewish woman survived the holocaust, by the survivor herself, Edith Hahn Beer. It reads like a book as the story is captivating but the information about what the Jewish population thought of Hitler and behind the scene in the concentration camp are quite eye-openers. Enjoy the reading. ;^)

Joyce Carter said...

I love the blocks in our quilt Julie and the colors are very beautiful.
I hope you are doing well.

Astrid said...

I don't buy jelly rolls, simply because I don't know what to make! :) The colors are beautiful and so are the blocks. Love your tote bag and thanks for the link to the tutorial.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I just finished the book 'Code Girls: The Untold Story of the American Women Code Breakers of WWII'. Great book. We couldn't have won the war without these thousands of women.

Lynn Dykstra said...

40 years a nurse--rarely took more than 15 minutes to eat.
This is nothing I am proud of--we need time for our minds and bodies to have a rest.
Employers did not have someone to cover my patients to allow a full break.
And they did not pay me for 1/2 hour every shift, whether I took a break or not.
(this is illegal wage theft)

Anne Kirby said...

My mom had me at 40, and she was like 14-18 during the war. She graduated at 16 in 1943 and went to work at Western Electric as a chemist. She wanted to be a nurse but alas, my grandparents could only afford to send either her or my aunt to school, and as my aunt was 18, she got to go to secretarial school and my mom started war work. But Western Electric was where she met my dad, who had a medical discharge from the Army. I grew up hearing all kinds of stories about the war. Sobering to think how young they were then.

Janet O. said...

I like the quilt you and Annie are working on. I have bought couple of jelly rolls. One of them is in a box with a pattern I plan to make with it. The other has been pulled apart and used in various projects. There may be a couple of strips of it left in my scrap basket. I was gifted one that I have used some of here and there.
That is a great looking bag, Julie.
Wowzers, that is a LOT of steps!
I think anyone, with any ailment, would be blessed to have you as their nurse!

Kyle said...

Sweet springtime colors. You bring joy and comfort to your patients

Just Ducky said...

Another great book about that time is Schindler's List.

loulee said...

Lovely quilt and your bag is adorable.
Another book to look out for would be 'The book thief'.

Lori said...

Adorable quilt with the jelly roll. I'm sure the patients felt loved and cared for under your watch!

cityquilter grace said...

nice to see you on zoom! i read sarah's key as well...good book. my mother talks about life during WWII and how she still has difficulty with connotations anything german evokes...she won't watch or read books relating to the war in any way...

Comments!

A large tree fell over with a mighty crash, half a block from our home.  We are all grateful that it fell toward the street!  If you can zoo...