Monday, January 2, 2023

Happy New Year, and mystery quilt, part six!



 

First of all, Happy New Year to each of you!  I hope this one is the best year yet!


  I have completed my rainbow bowtie blocks.  Hurrah!!  Now to sew them altogether.  Lots of bright colors are delightful for my soul!





I found an old pair of plaid pajamas for the border for this quilt.  Instead of matching the plaids, due to my limited fabric, I put little random spacers in-between the little pieces of plaid pajama pants.  This will all be trimmed prior to the last border, which I am still thinking about.  I think it adds a little more "folk" to the project. That is my story, and I am sticking to it!






My amaryllis bloomed yesterday, on New Year's day!  It is a harbinger of a lovely year to come.



This is my first Mystery quilt block, for step six.  



And I have four of the centers of the blocks completed.  More coming today!



**************Nurse's notes**********************


In addition to my beloved open-heart patients, I have now been trained in the ICU, oncology and hospice.  Training was kind of hilarious, because from day one I took all the patients and my "preceptor" just signed papers that I was competent.  After decades of doing this, I just need to know where things are, mostly.  The charting is ridiculous...I feel like I take great care of the computer, and no time for patients!!  But I speed through the charting junk so I can be with the patients.    Becoming a more versatile nurse is challenging, but fun!  I worked as a "task nurse", the other day.  I gave meds, hung IV's and IV antibiotics, started IV's, hung blood, bathed patients, took patients to the car after treatments, turned patients and did oral care, and ran one code!! Anything to help out the nurses. I did not sit once all shift.  Honestly, it was great fun!!  Super busy, but I just did tasks...no thinking involved.  I loved it!


ICU is for the sickest of the sick...nurses teasingly call it the "Icky Care Unit", because of all the infectious diseases there. We try and keep the Cardiac Intensive Care unit infection free.   Last time I worked there, I had a covid patient on max vent support and a cancer patient with cancer everywhere, that moved on to hospice.  It was challenging and amazing to see the baby nurses there...most 21-25 years old.  I was the float there and they frequently asked me for advice.... but I don't work there!  I can help with the nursing stuff...but I didn't know where anything is. I did have a brain surgery patient, and wow!  That is intense.  I loved that too.  He had a ventriculostomy.  


Hospice is reverent, and sad, and a release of so much emotion.  It is exhausting for me.  Lots of sitting and waiting.  I find stuff to do...I dust and clean and disinfect and such in-between patient care. There are few meds except comfort meds.  Little charting, unlike the at least every hour vitals/drip management/vent management, balloon pump and dialysis management for ICU/CCU.  Lots of patients are just alone, with the phone calls checking on them. I focus on these people, and read to them, and sing to them, until they tell me to stop please!  LOL!  Not really!   One lady was a huge bible reader, and I read a bunch of the Psalms to her, as she slumbered.  I found that very meditative, and very calming for me, and I pray she benefitted too.  Some have family in the room non-stop, and I support them with love, hot coffee and blankets, information and care of the patient.  


So my nursing life is different now.  I am glad I made the change!


*************************************************


Continuing my history exploration of the twentieth century, I am going to read about the 1940's this year.  This is a fascinating, horrific decade for America and much of the world, and I look forward to knowing more history about this, which my parents lived through, and maybe some of you, too.  Library, here I come, and internet searches too, and the best thing...interviews with folks from WW2.  They are few and far between, but I am privileged to meet some in the hospital



Julie



15 comments:

Sherrill said...

Your mention of brain surgery took me back to the days with my DH and his glio. 4 brain surgeries in one year (two dealing with a shunt) and for what? 3 good extra months, I guess, but hospice in the end. His primary nurse was a pediatric hospice nurse most of the time..I can't even imagine! So glad you truly enjoy what you do!!

Tired Teacher 2 said...

The mystery blocks look wonderful! You are a blessing to all your patients and to the nurses you assist.

Chantal said...

All the best for the New Year, Julie! May He blesses you with good health so you can continue to be a comfort to those poor souls stuck in failing bodies. Love your bowtie quilt. It's so cheerful! Beautiful Chilhowie blocks. Enjoy! ;^)

Loris said...

Happy New Year, Julie!
I love the add of the plaid pajamas :-) I have some pajamas in my quilts too! Find plaids anywhere you can. They are just that wonderful.
I'm so glad your job change has left you with some satisfaction. I loved those task assignments through the years. I think the computer charting though was the empty hole that drained my passion to keep working. In the ER, I felt like I was just being rude, with what looked like I was ignoring patients too much of the day and having to do work arounds to actually document what I knew to be important. It was too fast paced an environment to spend so much time at the computer screen. A crazy world.
Hospice nurses have been a huge help to me when I've been helping family. The body dies in actually kind of an organized fashion. It was good to know what tasks to do and what to let go of. My heart still ached through all of it though. The hospice company still sends me mail with words of comfort and remembrance. They are a great team of people.

Carol C. said...

Your bow tie quilt is beautiful! And the plaid pj's add the perfect touch to the welcome quilt! The mystery blocks are progressing nicely! I so enjoy your nursing updates... I am now retired after 44 years of nursing, and I miss the patients (NOT the paperwork)!! So glad you made the change... you are a blessing to patients, families, and staff!! Happy New Year!

Lynn Dykstra said...

It is interesting to have lived through "functional nursing, team nursing, primary care nursing, total care nursing".
What goes around comes around.

Inpatient hospice was very busy for me--I would have hours of charting at the end of shifts with way too many patients. I would hole up in patients rooms, sitting with them while I completed the charting, feeling I could finally give them my presence after my shift was over.

And, I charged every minute of charting on my time card. You staff poorly, you pay me.

ButterZ said...

Julie I am so glad you are enjoying the change. I do hope that 2023 is a good year for you.

Anonymous said...

Wishing you a healthy, happy New Year. Thanks for sharing all that you do.

Lori said...

Wow! A full post today! First I love your quilts and love the first border of Welcome!
It sure sounds like quite a mix of nursing duties. I can imagine you change roles seamlessly and effortlessly! Happy New Year friend!

Quilting Babcia said...

I love the plaid pj's fabric addition to your welcome quilt! It's just the homey touch that I love to see in quilts. Your new role sounds very fulfilling if exhausting. My hubby volunteers at a local comfort house (hospice) that is run entirely by volunteers. He loves it, especially when there's an elderly gentleman who is still lucid and they can spend time reminiscing about their early years learning electronics and other tech stuff. And he prays with them and sometimes the families if they are visiting. Best wishes to you in this brand new year!

Jeanne said...

Happy new year! Your nursing descriptions are mindful and caring, thank you for sharing. I'm interested in your history exploration!

Nann said...

Bless you for your hospice work! Having additional skills (and certification of those skills) will allow you to better serve your patients.
The spacers in the quilt border are a clever solution. Your sampler is most welcoming!
1940's will give you a lot of books to choose from.

Happy 2023!

Quilter Kathy said...

Beautiful scrappy projects going on at your house! Great job!
Love the border you added to the Welcome quilt!
Happy New Year! May the new patients you cross paths with in 2023 be healed by your skills, love and presence!

Janet O. said...

Congrats on finishing up the bowties. Such a beautiful rainbow of color!
Oh, I love the use of your PJ bottoms for the border. And the little spacers are a great way to stretch a limited fabric.
Your flower bloom is gorgeous! Love flowers that bloom indoors in the winter.
Beautiful mystery blocks!
I always enjoy your nurse's notes. You are the energizer bunny!! And your patients are very lucky!

sue s said...

Very interesting post today- like others I love your pj fabric!
I have been reading a great mystery series by Jacqueline Winspear. Her Maisie Dobbs is a "psychological detective" with nursing experience. The books cover both WWI and II and the characters are completely involved in the wars as they happen. Good writing. I'd love to know what books you read on this topic.

A finish

Hi everyone!  I have been kind of obsessed about finishing this jacket.  I used a lot of scraps!!!  Above you can see the large, angled patc...