Thursday, September 28, 2017

Cheri Payne Basket blocks!

 I have absolutely loved this quilt along designed by Cheri Payne; these are her basket blocks.  She just gave you the shapes, and you came up with your own thing...and you know I love that!  She designed a total of 8 blocks, I think, but that would not make a big quilt. So, I decided to put together what I had done...after all, a wall hanging is all the 8 blocks would make, and that would not be enough for a patient quilt...so here I am.
 I love this block; it is my favorite!!  I learned a lot...like never put a 1/4 inch border around blocks.  It is quite tough to get super even, due to me using stretchy plaid fabric, although I was very, very careful...so I will defer to a 1/2 border if I choose to do it again.

I plan to add flowers and leaves to the vines, and also a border, when I figure that out, LOL!

Thank you Cheri Payne!!! Cheri has been going through horrible cancer treatments, and now is retired.  I am praying every day for her renewed health!!
 Another mug rug....
and another one! 


Speaking of mug rugs, I happened to be in the doctor's office yesterday, and had some blood drawn. While I was waiting, I was stitching on a mug rug and got it finished. The phlebotomist had a soda by her desk, and she just needed that mug rug, in my opinion!  So I spontaneously gave it to her...she burst into tears and said she just really needed that boost that particular day.  So it was totally wonderful to make a stranger happy with a little bit of quilting.





Have a great day!

Julie

17 comments:

Tired Teacher said...

I love that you gave the mug mat to the phlebotomist. It just shows that a small act of kindness can make someone's day. Bless you.

Cary.wisnosky@gmail.com said...

I always like reading your blog but I'm still new to finding new blogs to read or quilt alongs so how do I findCheri Payne?
Thanks
Cary.wisnosky@gmail.com

ES said...

When the lady cried because of your kind gift! Oh my goodness that made me feel tingly!! Random acts of kindness really can be a wonderful thing:) I gifted a quilt to someone going through cancer treatment and she sent a thank you text and a photo and that was so lovely to see her using and enjoying my quilt:)

Nancy said...

That quarter inch border might be hard but it sure sets your blocks off nicely. Your baskets and flowers are great, Julie. I like the block you do and also like the tan/putty fabric in the basket lower right and the blue print fabric above it. Well done on all your baskets! I'm still thinking about what I want to do for the last block. Cheri posted a branch, bird, leaves, and a flower but I think I'm going to make a basket -- if I can decide how I want it to look.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I am enjoying the little coaster you sent me. I love how you make them out of tiny strips of scraps!

Danice G said...

How sweet of you. What seems like small gesture can often brighten someone's day. The mug rugs are so cute. The baskets quilt is looking wonderful. Looking forward to seeing it all finished :)

LintLady said...

Hello Julie,
such a nice story! May be I will make a quilt one day called: "Make someone happy with a little bit of quilting"!.
Have a nice weekend
xxx Doris :o)

Barb said...

What a super cute pattern! cute mug rugs

Sherrill said...

Oh, I didn't know about Cheri..I signed up for her FB group some time ago but haven't been 'accepted' and no clue why. This is most likely the reason. Always love your stories!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

It only takes a little thing to make a big difference in someone's day.

Louise Franko said...

Tons of starch works for me and tiny fabric strips.

audrey said...

They really are the sweetest basket blocks. Lovely that you were able to bring some goodness to someones day!

Kyle said...

What a sweet act of kindness. It's the little things that have the biggest impact. Just like that your sweet little baskets.

moosecraft said...

Yes! Caregivers need care too! :-) Your basket blocks are making a beautiful quilt. I do like the look of the 1/4 in border...makes it look almost like stained glass. Last I had heard Cheri was responding well to treatment...praying that continues!!! :-)

Karen said...

Your Cheri baskets piece is beginning to take shape. I had to set the basket project aside because of too many quilt irons in the fire. I may opt for something smaller like you have done.

Rosa said...

So cute .Love them all!

Loris said...

Your mug rug gifting brings tears to my eyes too. Such a sweet gesture. Your basket blocks look lovely. I'm praying for Cherie too. Another sweet lady :-)

Puffins and purples!!

I was tempted by Puffins...a squirrelly breed!!  LOL!  This fabric was shared with me, and I have been loved these bright, candy corn colors...