Thursday, August 21, 2014

The surprise is...ALASKA!!!

 Alaska!!!  That is my big surprise reveal...We got to go to Alaska, for my big Birthday!  We have not been on a vacation for many years, not a real vacation...so...we got to go!!  What an incredibly beautiful place!  I loved it and felt like I was at home the moment I spotted those mountains.  I am just a mountain girl, I guess!
 Here is a friend that we happened to run into.
 And a happy girl, walking along a hiking trail bridge.  Dear hubby managed to snap this pic of me.  It was surprisingly warm there, and I soon shed most of those layers of clothing.
 I did, (ahem), manage to find a quilt shop or three while I was there!  Loving the wild things that abound in Alaska, I did bring home some patterns, and a little brown fabric to help in my quilting of these pretty animal quilts.
 This was just took my fancy, and it came home too...it was on sale.
 And this book too was in the sale bin.  20 years old, published in 1994, it just struck a cord with me...I loved it.  It is by Fons and Porter, and has wonderful scrap quilts in it.
 And this book was just fun!
 A birthday gift from my friend Pam...pinks!!!  Love that for sure!!
 And my friend Marilyn made this tie bag for me.  She collects ties, and makes different projects, all from ties.
 Her tag for her business.
And I hand quilted this quilt on the plane.  It is a small one, and made from someones blocks that they were finished with.  Sometimes a project does not turn out, or we get tired of it, or it just no longer suits our fancy.  I think that these blocks were some of those.  Now tell me friends, whose crazy patch blocks are these?  The name got separated from the blocks...so claim them, whoever you are that made them in the first place!!  I hand quilted around each and every tiny green piece...loved that!!


*********************************The trip********************************

I did a journal of each day of our trip, so I could remember it and savor each memory.  One memory strikes me...on the plane back, everyone was sleeping, being the middle of the night.  Suddenly all the lights were turned on, and an urgent page came over the plane loudspeaker..."We have a sick passenger, and need a doctor to come and attend her, please hurry!".  Two doctors immediately got up and went to the lady...quite elderly, and she had atrial fib with a very fast rate, and had passed out.  I was struck by how quickly they responded to this stranger, and what kind care they gave.  They did not ask for nurses, but you can bet I was ready, in case it went down hill in a hurry...but the lady revived, and was able to take her medication from home, which helped her a lot.  I love to watch people love other people, even strangers.  Some people would have just kept quiet, after all, they were on vacation.  Loved it!!  And the lady was OK, and that was the great thing!

We have some truly amazing pictures, and I will share a few along here and there.  I am doing laundry and cleaning a bit...and have so many quilting ideas, I am bursting!

*************************************************************



Have a great day!

Julie

30 comments:

LuAnn said...

Wow! I'm so glad you got to go there. Alaska (preferably a cruise) is on my bucket list. You wouldn't be a quilter if you couldn't find some fabric. Love your photos. Have a great time.

Kyle said...

What a special vacation for a special birthday. I'll be waiting to hear more and more about the trip.

Terry said...

Lucky you...I'd love to go to Alaska someday! :0)

Chantal said...

So cool! Glad you liked it. It is the best time of year to visit Alaska. Love the books you found and the patterns too. Welcome back.

Valerie said...

I have been reading your blog for years, and do not recall ever seeing a picture of you before. I'm so glad you put up a picture, it's nice to "see" you finally. Alaska is my hubby's dream vacation spot and we have even done a bit of talking about maybe going in 2016. I'm glad you were able to go for your special birthday, you work hard and it's nice you could have a great vacation. Looking forward to hearing more about it.

Leeanne said...

Oh Julie! Goosebumps! How fabulous! Happy special birthday present. That bear is mighty close! Lovely story of the doctors helping out on the plane.
I look forward to seeing more photo's of your special holiday.

Betsy said...

Julie, I too went to Alaska. June 18th yo be exact. We loved it so much we are trying to find a way to go back. Like you it was our 1 st real vacation in 25 years and we felt right at home. I too visited 3 quilt shops and one was actually for sale. We had hundreds of pictures do we had a book made at shatter bug.

Gayle said...

We enjoyed our trip to Alaska too - such a beautiful place. Glad you had a great time!

Sarah said...

So glad you got to go to Alaska! We went this year, too, for the first time, and it is too beautiful to describe. I loved seeing the moose! How is your insomnia (or hopefully lack there of) doing these days?
sarah@forrussia.org

Chookyblue...... said...

Oh I hope you share some more pics........nice to see you too.............have you found Rebecca yet a new blogger from Alaska?

WoolenSails said...

What a wonderful way to spend your Birthday!
Sounds like the trip of a lifetime and can't wait to see photos of your trip.
Debbie

Anonymous said...

You are so lucky! It is a state I e always thought wou,d be awesome to Explore in person.

Donna Keating said...

Wow! A belated happy birrhday. So glad you got to take such a great trip.

Karen said...

I love watching the tv shows about Alaska but doubt I will ever get to visit.

Lori said...

Wow! Alaska!! That's a great trip. I have to say, my favorite photo is the beautiful one of YOU! You look happy and relaxed.

AnnieO said...

How lovely to see your happy, smiling face! What a great surprise. I hope you both enjoyed every minute. That was a good hunt in Alaska, quilt shop hunting, that us :)

Rebecca in AK said...

You did not mention that your special birthday was that you were turning thirty! Because that is how old you look in that photo! I am so glad you had a wonderful time visiting my state! I hope you have lots of great memories. It looks like you found some great quilty things to take home with you too! I love your green crazy quilt!

Binsa said...

Hello Julie, loved seeing your trip to Alaska, such a special memory. Hugs, Lyn

Janet O. said...

That is a place that is high on my bucket list. You lucky lady, what a wonderful birthday present!
Very fun to see a photo of you enjoying the beautiful scenery.
You made some great finds--and received nice gifties! What a clever tie bag!
What an experience on the plane. I know you would have jumped in to help, if needed. Glad the woman was okay!

KaHolly said...

ALASKA! You ARE a lucky birthday girl!! Can't wait to see more of your trip pictures.

hetty said...

Happy Belated Birthday! What a great trip. And great quilty acquisitions. Lovely photo of you enjoying the Alaskan scenery. What special birthday? You don't look a day over 30!

Me and My Stitches said...

Wow - what an awesome birthday! Can't wait to see more pics. Great story from the plane - sometimes with all of the negative news on TV we forget that good, caring people are still all around us.

Ruth said...

What a wonderful way to celebrate a special birthday! Happy Birthday - belatedly! I love the eagle pattern - that will be a wonderful quilt. And you received some very nice gifts. The story about the sick lady was happy because of the care she received. It is very touching how strangers will come forward when there is a need.

Michelle said...

How fun! We loved Alaska when we went a couple years ago. Just amazing! Loved seeing the picture of you too...to match a face to the words. :) Thanks for sharing!

Nancy said...

I've been to Alaska but never set foot on the ground - I was on a plane that refueled there. ;o)

Fabulous photo, but a grizz that close is too close for my comfort!

Wonderful quilty purchases - enjoy!

Love the nurse's notes, too, they touched my heart. God Bless those who assisted the lady in distress.

Quilter Kathy said...

Such a wonderful place to celebrate a big birthday! Wonderful souvenirs you picked up!

Kim said...

Happy Birthday Dear Julie!
I loved Alaska too when we went earlier this year on a cruise.
Looks like you had a wonderful time, good to get away from it all and celebrate an important milestone.
So are you gonna fess up and tell us which " BIG" one this is?

Happy Sewing

Loris said...

How wonderful to see your beautiful pictures and hear of such a sweet adventure!
Happy Birthday :-)

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

My youngest son moved to Anchorage the end of December. Lucky you!

Vivian said...

Congratulations on taking such a special trip! The views and scenery just had to be awesome. Truly a "have to do it at least once in a lifetime" trip!

An Alaskan quilt cruise is high on my "one day" wish list. Right now the closest I will get to combining quilting and Alaska is making Brenda Henning's Alaskan Sampler quilt as a surprise for my DH who's always joking about wanting to move to Alaska!

Hexies, rainbow quilts and plaids!

Good morning to all!!!  Above is a hexagon, for English paper piecing.  My kitten Lucky has discovered them, and decided that they are great...