Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Progressions...

Hi Y'all! We went on a little adventure to the Four Corners area of our beautiful USA, to visit family over Memorial Day. We took some time and remembered all our wonderful service members from present and past who sacrificed so much for our freedom...we salute you all!

Above is my scrappy quilt...not sure of a name for this one, but it sure is fun to play with! All the pieces came from my scrap bins, 3.5 and 2 inch squares. Connector corners were sewn to make the shapes...you see, right? I am loving this scrappy happy quilt! Whoops, as I look at this, I need to move some of the pink blocks from the center...hmmm....
I made one of these blocks...too big. I don't know why the computer made the block bigger than it should, but ding dong here (that's me), went ahead and stitched it up...and it became a one block wonder! I love this little quilt...it will be a gift at Christmas time for someone! Iwould really like to stitch this whole quilt, and do it right this time, LOL!!
Finished another plaid kitty block...I like these babies!!
And I finished this block from Lyn's Retro Ninepatch BOM. She published the finishing instructions today! I am so excited! Except....I cut this block 8.5 inches instead of 9.5 inches!!! I will have to improvise, big time, in the finishing phase.

A blurry picture of my beloved mountains, still covered with crisp white snow....these mountains in southern Colorado embrace my heart like a mother's hug when I get close to them. I miss home!! Someday...maybe I can live there again!!



Someone had a question about the blue quilt in previous posts...it is made of five inch squares, and 2.5 x 5 inch sashing, with connector corner stars... hope this helps!!!







THANK YOU!!

Lyn V.
Annmarie R.


for sending gorgeous pink fabrics for our breast cancer survivor quilter!!!




Have a great day, everyone!!



JulieK

27 comments:

Susan said...

That really turned out great. You make the loveliest quilts...

Janet O. said...

Your scrappy quilt is looking great! All of your handwork is well done. I especially enjoy your plaid kitty!
Love those Rocky Mountains. Our little valley is surrounded by them. I'll bet the Four Corners area was nice and warm--unlike my Memorial Day--see the snowmen in my blog. : )

Barb said...

Love the scrappy quilt and your blocks!!

Nancy said...

I'm glad you got to see the mountains again - they are tonic for the soul.

Love the progress you are making on your quilt.

Me and My Stitches said...

I LOVE the plaid kitty! And...the block that is too small would look great with a nice border around the outside!

~Joan said...

Julie, I noticed that the light blue flower block in the bottom right of the picture has a solid cream square for the center instead of a 4-patch. is that on purpose?

Mad about Craft said...

I love all your bits & bobs in this post but I particulary love the scrappy quilt!

Happy quilting!!

May Kristin said...

What a gorgeous scrappy quilt you are making!

Caron at Michigan Quilts said...

I LOVE your little plaid kitty block. Where did you get the pattern? I'd love to do that for my new grandchild's quilt...

*karendianne. said...

Wow you have some yummy things here. Great quilt. Aren't you so happy? I am! :) Makes a girl happy. And Julie I love everything but that Plaid Kitty - Oh.My.Goodness.Sakes is the cutest ever. Talk about happy. That is super duper happy. 5 Star Cuteamous!!!

(ps: you were missed. Glad you're back.)

Anonymous said...

Love the scrappy quilt! How do you go about deciding what to start. What is your inspiration for a new scrappy quilt and how do you decide on a particular pattern or style?

WoolenSails said...

I really like your scrappy quilt, came together beautifully.

Debbie

Terri said...

I've been lurking on your blog for sometime now and love it! AND I see those same mountains I believe from my back patio and they are just beautiful. I'm in north west New Mexico.

Denise in PA said...

Nice! That plaid kitty is just too cute!

Merilyn said...

Your scrappy quilt is coming along beautifully! What a great photo of the Mountains, a lovely view indeed!!!

Lori said...

You are the quilting queen! I'm thrilled to see all your wonderful quilts but I am starting to feel like a slug......

Deanna said...

Where in Southern Colorado?

Shari said...

Love the plaid kitty - what a hoot! And the little quilt - adorable. And another lovely scrappy quilt! You are so dedicated and disciplined with your time to get so much done! Love the blue star quilt - a great stash-busting pattern for sure... glad you had a lovely time with family for the long weekend.
Hugs - Shari

AnnieO said...

Lovely quilt--I like it a lot! Glad its coming together in such a pleasing way.

Darlene said...

You make the best scrappy quilts, Julie! I love it.

Pat said...

I just LOVE your scrappy quilt!!! One time I had a chance to visit Colorado (in the summer) and those mountains were awesome.

KaHolly said...

I'm loving that scrappy quilt!! All of your accomplishments put me to shame. I keep pretty busy, but I don't get as much done as you!

Terry said...

Love your latest scrap quilt! I printed my first birdie block off too big too, but thankfully I realised it before I had traced or stitched it. Yours is going to make someone very happy! :0)

House of Mouse said...

I am going "home" in July...can't wait to see our mountains and all the changes that have taken place since last year!. I love all that you do...I wish I could accomplish 1/2 of what you do.



Anett

Anonymous said...

Hello Julie, glad my parcel arrived ok....you certainly have a talent for scrappy quilts.....I am sure you will adapt your BOM stitchery blocks.....I feel the same way....when I travel to the place where I married my DH...when I drive down the hill and see Barwon Heads bluff and Lake Connewarre...hard to explain how I feel each time I do this...hugs lyn

Stephanie D said...

Yep, love those southern CO mountains. I lived in ABQ for many years, and my bestest friend lives in Salida, so I loved the drive up there to see her.

Lovin' that scrappy quilt--I think I'm going to have to make myself one of those.

Floss said...

Think the setting on the first quilt is great. Also love the plaid cat block, so much fun.

Puffins and purples!!

I was tempted by Puffins...a squirrelly breed!!  LOL!  This fabric was shared with me, and I have been loved these bright, candy corn colors...