Monday, January 2, 2017

I have a plan...watch out!!!

 So I stood on the back of the big chair in the living room and got this picture...Hee!!  I bet it was funny, if you would have peeked in.  I have 20, out of 30 blocks completed for the Bear Paw quilt.  I think I like the green one best!
 These are the ones I made today.  Slow and steady wins the race!
 I received a wonderful postcard from Nines!  Thank you so much, I just love it!
As I was cleaning up the kitchen table, I found the makings to sew this block, so I did...at 3 AM.





******************My plan**************************

There has been some chatter in blogland, about 17 projects to finish in 2017. I started listing what I would really like to accomplish in my quilting life, and so...I came up with at least that many quilts!  Some are UFOs, and some will be new starts.  I think it keeps it a little fresher, when I can work on both, maybe alternately.  So I will list them here, and I am working on the first one, first, which is the Bear Paw quilt.


Additionally, I have a lot of quilts still needing binding and quilting.  I cannot hand quilt every single quilt...I just am going to run out of runway!  But, I am not going to make progress unless I commit to working on binding and quilting every day.  For the last three nights, I have bound for 30 minutes, hand quilting for 30 minutes, and then pieced a couple blocks on the machine, for 15 minutes.  So far, so good...making progress feels so good!!!




*********************************************************



Have a great day, everyone!!


Julie

18 comments:

Sherrill said...

I'm just committing to trying to finish at least 3-4 UFOs. We'll see how that works! LOL LOVE the paws..I just don't like making that many 1/2 sq triangles. But yours makes it so tempting--NO, I WON'T!! HAHA

Chantal said...

Yes, I like the green one best too. But they are all wonderful!! ALL OF THEM! (less one feels hurt by listening to us preferring the green one. Wink!) I really like your new system of 30 minutes. I wrote that in my Task Master too; 30 minutes of hand stitching a week. I know I can do a whole lot more than that, but since I haven't hand stitched during the last two months I had to write it down as a commitment to me to make it work. Enjoy the progress. Don't they say; do not fear going forward slowly, fear only to stand still. ;^)

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I'd already made my list (way more than 17 projects) before I'd heard of the 17 Project thing. I have UFO's that have sat for years, to over a decade. I plan on getting them started (or finished) this year. Great Bear Paw blocks.

Libby in TN said...

Progress is good. I need to commit to binding time, too! Haven't heard about the 17 project thing but I could surely find 17 to put on a list; whether I get to them would be another subject for another day.

Melody A. said...

what beautiful blocks!!! and slow and steady really is the best. Happy New Year from Iowa

Missy Shay said...

I need to get back to trying to quilt at least 30 minutes a day, maybe I would get something done then! I love your plan!

Caryl @ cinnamon holiday workshop said...

Super blocks........and I like the idea of 17 projects in 2017. Now I am not committing to finishing that many but I will try to work on that many!! Happy New Year!

Nancy said...

That's a great plan, Julie. It helps to mix new projects with the old to keep the energy going. I love your bear paw quilt blocks. I don't think I'll get tired of seeing them any time soon.

Ada Plouvier-Kopitopoulou said...

You started the new year great! I plan to do this lots of times, but when I pick up the first thing I am going to do, I can't stop, have to go on! So maybe I should do one day of quilting, one day of piecing and so on!

Karen said...

I gave up on making plans. Good if it works for you.

Lori said...

You are so committed and organized! Love the bears paw blocks!

gayle said...

Good luck with your plan! It's amazing what little bits of time here and there can add up to!
For myself, my plan is to have no plan. I'm just going to work on whatever whim takes me. If I finish something, hey great! If not, at least I had fun working on it. 8)

Rebecca in AK said...

I am loving your Bear Paw blocks and your are making good progress on them. I hope your plan works, it is true that if you keep working on things, even a little at a time you are making progress. I am thinking over my quilting plans for the new year.

Kyle said...

Welcome to the 17 in 2017 plan. I find if I just make a list it helps me stay a bit focused. Even though I've written down 17 UFOs it doesn't mean I won't be adding a bunch of new things too, like you! Just keeping it fresh!

Kyle said...

Welcome to the 17 in 2017 plan. I find if I just make a list it helps me stay a bit focused. Even though I've written down 17 UFOs it doesn't mean I won't be adding a bunch of new things too, like you! Just keeping it fresh!

KaHolly said...

17 in 2017.... hmmmm, could be a bit ambitious, but if finishing UFOs counts, I might be able to swing it. Loving your bear paws! Sewing at 3 a.m.? Not in this lifetime, but I do 6 in the morning quite often! XO

Charlotte said...


With all that you accomplish, I would think making 17 in 2017 would be a "no brainer" for you. You do beautiful work and I enjoy your nurse stories.

Happy New Year!
Charlotte

Marga (MarPie) said...

I like that idea very much, is there a special group on the web or instagram, facebook?
Small, big, new, old it should work.
I love the quilts you make and you make a lot of quilts.
Thank you for making a new challenge.

Warm regards from Holland.
Marga♥

Puffins and purples!!

I was tempted by Puffins...a squirrelly breed!!  LOL!  This fabric was shared with me, and I have been loved these bright, candy corn colors...