Tuesday, November 27, 2012

So much to tell!!

 HI Everyone!!  I have been working and cooking and sewing!  Above is the latest quilt I am working on...a log cabin.  Nondescript, huh?  EXCEPT!!!
 The blocks are only 4 inch finished!!  1/2 inch finished logs.  This uses the tiniest one inch wide strings...use it up or do without,  right?!!  I love these blocks so much, and every bit of this quilt is from my strings...gifted strings, strings that I have saved...thank you so much for everyone who gifted me with strings this year...I love them so much!!  I am making 400 of these blocks.
 And the little trimmings from the strips!  Never fear!  They are used too!  Not in the land fill, but as hot pads.  I pile a whole bunch on a piece of fabric (muslin in this case, but you could use prettier fabric!)  I then spray the whole thing with starch and PRESS it all down...then I quilt it in wiggly lines from the front, being careful not to catch the loops of fabric.
 The back...
 And then I trim it to whatever size and put a couple hand holding pockets on the back.
Then bind it!!  I still need to stitch down the binding, but hey!  The littlest pieces of fabric are used, and I love the scrappy look!  Best of all?  When these are washed, they are even better protection for your hands!  Love, love to use every little bit of fabric up!!!





*******************Nurse's Notes*****************************


I may have a really sore back...I may work the holidays and have troubles all my own (don't we all)?  But when I confront the reality of someone on the ventilator for weeks, unable to breath or maintain their blood pressure....or a person receiving three kinds of chemo, blasting their body,  just for a chance to keep living, to see their son grow up....or a person who had SEVEN bypasses this last week (didn't know they could do that many)...or the man in the hospital for more than a month with a bone infection who never has a visitor...hey, I am so blessed and tickled to be able to feel and keep on going!!  Hurrah...and God bless these patients!!!  So I am so very thankful each day, including Thanksgiving...and love to read about your gratitudes!!  How many can you count today!??



Julie

*************************************************************

24 comments:

Missy Shay said...

That is so sad to be so alone that nobody visits you in the hospital! I love your log cabin, I am going to have to put it on my to do list, but not that small! I love your potholder too! My mom's a nurse, she always worked in nursing homes the graveyard shift, so I understand having to work the holidays through her.

Sharon said...

OMG, I can't believe not one person has visited this man!! Your log cabin is going to be amazing, well, it already is. Scrappy LC are the best. My company is open 24/7, we do close for part of the day on Dec 25, but I'm fortunate, I don't work holidays/weekends unless there was a major incident (trucking), then I'd be called in.

Ali Honey said...

You're a very caring nurse Julie. It must be difficult not to become over emotionally involved with some of the wonderful people you nurse. How sad to have a brilliant brain and then know it is disappearing. How sad to have no visitors.
Good health comes right up there at the top of the list of what's important...but so many folk think money should be at the top of that list.
I too save very small strings and selvages now too. It is great to make every scrap useful. Here fabric is very expensive so it makes sense not to waste it. It does however worry me that Cotton is apparently one of the most sprayed crops grown in the world.
I know I am lucky to have lots of work to do and good health to match . It is startling to know I am now considered according to the media to be elderly....
Hugs, Ali.

Barb said...

What an amazing quilt@@@

Angie said...

You are at the top of my list of gratitudes, Ms. Julie K. :) I was just thinking about you earlier and getting ready to send you and email to make sure you were okay. I'm so glad to read this post---and so sad for the sick and alone. Love your Log Cabin blocks, man, they are SMALL---and I totally LOVE the hot pad---I have to make one or some. :d Happy Thanksgiving, sweetie. :)

Leeanne said...

Busy busy and no waste!! you are a trooper! cool wee logs!

Nancy said...

Your tiny log cabin blocks are wonderful, and the hot pad is an amazing idea!

I am grateful for caring nurses (like you) and doctors who work so hard to make their patients comfortable. Your patients can feel the love and concern you have for them, and I know they appreciate it a great deal.

Gwen said...

Tell that gentleman that I will say a prayer for him and that I hope he recovers soon.

Donna Keating said...

Your log cabin quilt is really coming along. I am so Thankful for my family, especially my husband and my Mom. They truly make me feel very loved and cared for.

*karendianne. said...

Oh my gosh your blocks are so cute, cute, cute!! Great quilt.

Your post is a much needed and appreciated dose of reality. Thank you for sharing.

Loris said...

Hi Julie! What fun to see you using these tiny scraps. I have trouble throwing anything out...nice ideas for how to use it up :-)
I have been on the other side of the stethoscope the past few weeks with mom needing a hip repair after falling. She has a strong spirit and she was blessed with some great caregivers. So sad to think of the man with no one coming to be with him. Everyone needs someone by their side to comfort and advocate for their care. Will be praying for him.

Julie Kaye from KS said...

Beautiful quilt. Love your little blocks. Way to use those scraps!

AnnieO said...

4" finished, you are MAD, woman! But they are adorable and a perfect use for all those too narrow strips.

Seeing seriously ill folks can't help but be a sobering experience. Glad you are able to feel grateful for your own state of health and be conscious of the struggles others have and help them as much as you can. I never heard of 7 bypasses either, eek!

regan said...

Awesome quilt! Are you foundation piecing it? Cuz it's perfect!!! :o)

And I'm so glad your patients have you to care for them! They are so lucky to have you!

Janet O. said...

Julie, your little log cabins knock my socks off! And you are making 400 of them? Yikes. More power to you!
Thanks for putting things in perspective for me. I've had so many medical issues this year, I've been feeling sorry for myself. Your post helped me get real. I actually have it pretty good! : )

Lori said...

That log cabin is amazing! I love the block size!!

In the hospital for a month with no visitor? How terribly sad.

Merilyn said...

Wow! 400 log-cabin blocks!!! now that is commitment and so far your quilt looks just awesome!!!!
Love your scrappy pot-holder too, such a great idea!!!!
Love your 'nurses' story' too, indeed much to be grateful for, looking after patients regardless of their illness puts everything in perspective, especially as we near the festive season too, so many patients have to remain in hospital, it can be a very lonely time for them.

Terry said...

Your log cabins are beautiful, and I'm impressed that they're so tiny!

Deanna said...

You do beautiful work--quilting and nursing.

mouse9576 said...

I have missed you! You are always so upbeat and have such wonderful quilts to share. Your patients are so fortunate to have you caring for them.

Vic in NH said...

That's it! I'm breaking my vows to not start anything new. Your log cabin blocks are too beautiful. I'm so inspired and must start one now having seen yours!

Linda O said...

Oh, Julie, another scrap masterpiece in the making! Beautiful tiny log cabins! So clever how you used the tiny strings!!

Great reminder how much we have to be thankful for! You are a true gift to your patients.

Traffic Pulse India said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mary said...

Love the log cabin! It's so awesome! Love the potholder too! That's a fantastic idea, may I borrow it please? All my pot holders are getting ucky looking!

Hugs for looking out for the lonely gent. Blessings are sure to come your way! I'm partial to the little old men anyway.

Hexies, rainbow quilts and plaids!

Good morning to all!!!  Above is a hexagon, for English paper piecing.  My kitten Lucky has discovered them, and decided that they are great...